I Need Customer Support and Can't Make Contact with Dreamhost

I have what I think is 3rd party shared hosting through Dreamhost. I was very new when my blog was set up by someone and they offered me hosting and not knowing much about my options, I just took it. Now I am looking to move on, but I cannot sign up for new hosting because I get a message saying my domain name is already registered in the database. Well my email doesn’t appear to be connected to my domain name at Dreamhost. I’m guessing its the 3rd party. I feel like my blog is being held hostage. I need to know how to break away. I tried emailing Dreamhost, but the message came back as undeliverable. I find nowhere to contact customer support since my email is not recognized. If this is how difficult it is to get support, should I rethink hosting with this company? Doesn’t feel like customer support is available.

The method to contact support for an email that is not registered is to use the contact form here: https://www.dreamhost.com/support/

That said, there may not be much they can do for you, because you’re not their customer.

Do you own your domain name? How was it paid for? Who is the registrar of your domain? These are very important questions in your situation.

I purchased the domain from GoDaddy and was using it on Blogger for just over a year. Then I paid someone to switch me to WP. Then they set me up with hosting.

Excellent. That is the best circumstance to be in here, beacuse if all else fails you can go elsewhere.

You can create a new dreamhost account without specifying a domain. I haven’t looked at the sign-up process lately, but there is a way to say “I’ll add one later.” I would do that, because then you can create tickets the normal way and chat with support instead of using the contact form. (I think the tickets that get created by the contact form go someplace ultra low priority).

Be certain that support understands that you (not the owner of the other dreamhost account) owns the domain and that is registered at godaddy. They should notice that themselves, but point it out before they make a bad assumption or guess and send you the wrong answer. They may ask you to prove you’re the domain owner, they have a proceedure for that.

Hi - Dreamhost Customer Support…
I used the “contact customer support” feature on the website (I’m locked out of my account due to the IP address authorization and an expired domain issue) … like an hour ago. AND. . … nothing.

I have had really great experiences with customer support before - I wonder if this is a glitch or a feature of the service?

It feels like an hour is a long time for most people to wait around the computer waiting for something to happen…

It would be nice to AT LEAST get a confirmation email saying, “Hey! We got your distress message, the calvary is on the way!!”

Four hours later… Still NADA.
Hey DREAMHOST… ? Anyone there?
Was it the quake?

Let it be know, on this day the day three days after the abomination of the 4th of July by the illegitimate president, this day the day three days hence, at Eight and Forty One minutes of the night, five hours and some change after my initial pleating cries were wafted into the ether… my knight of the night with white knickers knighty night hath cometh, and salvaged savaged me. I am at rest, or at least I was at rest, until hiseth emaileth landeth and pronked me of my sodden slumber slober.
I am saved. And sacked. And now snakering whilst I wait yon knighty knight to scale the fearsome walls of Dreamhostland’s mote, and from the inside, like a flowereth, open her plump gates to my sated joy.
I resign myself in her this eve.
Amen, or a man, I mean both.
N