Huntress Hardware Failure HEADS UP

As DH relocates Huntress, here’s some interesting behavior I’ve encountered that I felt worth sharing.

After my site came back up, it was throwing a 500 (internal server) errors. Digging into the error log produced the following line:

/home/…/.htaccess: Option All not allowed here

Now, I’ve been using Perishable Press’ 4G Blacklist:

http://perishablepress.com/the-perishable-press-4g-blacklist/

and after a little tinkering, I traced the 500 down to the following lines:

[code]…

ESSENTIALS

RewriteEngine on
ServerSignature Off
Options All -Indexes
Options +FollowSymLinks
…[/code]

(specifically, the two “Option” lines). Commenting the “Options” lines out:

[code]…

ESSENTIALS

RewriteEngine on
ServerSignature Off

Options All -Indexes

Options +FollowSymLinks

…[/code]

fixed the problem (well, at least the site serves up and things work again). I tried all the permutations of turning each of the two lines on and off (both on, both off, one on, then the other) and the only thing that works is if both lines are commented out.

Somehow, the new huntress configuration is different, and no longer appears to support “Options” commands in .htaccess files. It used to with no problem. But now …

I’m a little irked that this huntress hardware move isn’t as “clone-y” as it should be (that the configuration changed means they’re not doing a straight duplication … somebody’s changed something), and that I’ve got to go back through and block directory listings in a different (more kludgey) way.

Anyone else experience something similar?

Good detective work.

I’m betting that If you wait until the restoral process is completed you can probably go back and uncomment those lines and things will be fine. I have no logical explanation other than no one seems to suffer lingering issues after these 7-10 day events pass due course.

Most with caching plugins seem to note that the cache must be manually cleared and/or turned off for while to avoid internal server errors.