Hunting for Good Wiki Software

apps

I’m trying to get a little for-fun Wiki going, but I just haven’t been able to find software that fits the bill. I asked for suggestions in here a long time ago, but there really wasn’t anything back then. Maybe things have changed since then…

All I really want is a very simple to install and use Wiki, but one that also provides some user security features–at the very least that lets me require a login with password to edit pages (my sites seem to be of the sort that attract extremely annoying and malicious people, so this ability is an absolute must). Not pounding on the DH server if it ever gets popular would be a nice bonus.

DH’s Perl module “insta-wiki” was almost perfect in terms of simplicity, but has no user authentication features. Tiki seems to be popular, but looks suspiciously like massive overkill since it has a mess of CMS stuff I don’t want. PHPWiki looks like it might fit the bill, but last time I tried it I couldn’t get the user authentication features to work (are they working now?). I’ve heard that Twiki is slow, and it looks like overkill.

Any suggestions?

I’ve heard that Twiki is slow, and it looks like overkill.

I’m running TWiki and it works like a charm. I don’t think it’s slow at all. The installation is all right if you follow the directions meticulously (and yes, it could be better). It’s got authentication and many useful details. I don’t know how you define overkill but of course it’s a question what you need it for. If you want to test it on DH, take a run around http://g-b.dk and try it out. You’re welcome to register, or use the guest account. I’ll be around to answer your questions.

TorbenGB

I guess my poor initial image of TWiki comes from the fact that it is both a Perl script and does not use MySQL for a backend; bad experiences with BBS systems that have the same “features” scaling very poorly has caused me to look to systems that use MySQL as a backend at the very least (PHP code often seems to go with that, though PHP vs Perl is probably more of a religious discussion).

The fact that largish pages at the TWiki homepage take an extremely long time to load and the rather frightening install instructions didn’t improve my first impression of it much.

Still, it sounds like it does what I’d like, so I suppose it’s worth a try if I can’t find anything better.

I installed MoinMoin a few months ago. It’s a Python-based Wiki clone. I’ve been pretty happy with it, but I haven’t use it that much, yet. I set it up for use as a personal knowledgebase. At least, that’s the theory.

The install was a bit tricky, but I wrote up a bunch of notes in case I need to do it again.

The only major configuration step I have left to do is to clean up the URL you use to access the wiki. I want it to look like /wiki/WikiPageName, instead of /cgi-bin/moin.cgi/WikiPageName. I haven’t yet mastered the mod-rewrite and/or ScriptAlias voodoo necessary to pull this off.

Robert
http://www.wombatnation.com/

Yeah, getting rid of the /cgi-bin/moin.cgi or /bin/view part of the URL is a hassle because it requires some regex magic in the .htaccess file, and some discussions in the forum here suggests that .htaccess can’t do it; we need to edit httpd.conf which DreamHost of course won’t let us do since it will affect more than our own website.

TorbenGB