I’ve got kind of an unusual setup going for my site.
- My main domain is dragonflycave .com (I had to insert a space here because the forum won’t let me post if there are more than two links in the post, even though I’m just trying to talk about domains without linking them; this seems kind of an unfortunate feature for a web host support forum), which is not hosted on DreamHost.
- However, I have a forum hosted on DreamHost under tcodforums.eeveeshq .com.
- This is not a domain that would make any sense to my forum users, so I have set up forums.dragonflycave .com within DreamHost as a mirror for tcodforums.eeveeshq .com.
- This has been working great for many years, but DreamHost will not let me use the Let’s Encrypt option for the forums.dragonflycave .com domain, because it’s not fully hosted.
- Now, as non-HTTPS sites are increasingly penalized, it’s become very inconvenient that my forum can’t use HTTPS.
So: I would like to get HTTPS support going on forums.dragonflycave.com, somehow. I do not know how I could go about this. A while back I attempted it, it didn’t work, I contacted support, and ultimately got the answer that it wasn’t possible because it’s not fully hosted (at the time, the DreamHost panel allowed me to select the option even though it wouldn’t work right, which has now been fixed).
Is there any way to get Let’s Encrypt working for this subdomain - like, is it at all possible to do it somehow on DigitalOcean’s side (which hosts the main dragonflycave.com domain and provides the DNS)? Or am I going to have to move the forum entirely?