HTTP/3 Support for Shared Hosting

HTTP/3 still does not have a final draft, but most browsers are supporting draft 29.

DH Shared Hosting was 3 years behind other Hosting companies to upgrade support to HTTP/2 . Let’s see how long this one takes?

Advantages of HTTP/3 over HTTP/2:

Nginx and Lighty have udp support, but I don’t think Apache has a working fork yet.

Introducing a Technology Preview of NGINX Support for QUIC and HTTP/3 - NGINX

Yes, I’m aware of that.

I’m shining light on the fact that Shared Hosting (via Apache) needs it.

Does Apache have a functional QUIC implementation? If so, throw us a link.

Not currently in Apache 2.4. Shared would need to use a patched NGINX. Probably getting close to end of life on those Apache servers anyway.

Apache may eventually be forced to support it if they want to stay relevant.

One could of course add HTTP/3 using QUIC with CloudFlare (follow link.)

They should have enabled nginx proxying on shared years ago.

I’m not a fan of Cloudflare, however I have installed 2 servers hosted elsewhere (one a mailserver) that use quic natively on nginx. Haven’t experimented using nginx with quic as a proxy to apache yet. Might give it a whirl this weekend.

I’m skeptical. Is there any demo that shows the advantage of HTTP/3 over HTTP/2? I couldn’t find any. With HTTP/2, there are some compelling demos that clearly showed that upgrading from HTTP/1 would improve performance by an order of magnitude for resource heavy pages.

For HTTP/3, Cloudflare published some numbers last year. Although HTTP/3 is about ~10% faster to setup connections, the Cloudflare blog actually got slightly slower when they served it via HTTP/3! The article mentions various caveats as to why it was slower, but still, if Cloudflare failed, is HTTP/3 really ready for general use?

What are the advantages of HTTP/3 you ask?

The advantages of HTTP/3 are better transmission speed, shorter loading times, and a more stable connection. Building on UDP, HTTP/3 bypasses the weak points of TCP and uses all the advantages of HTTP/2 and HTTP over QUIC.

While HTTP/2 uses multiplexing, meaning the simultaneous downloading of data, the second HTTP version still suffers from head-of-line blocking. These are digital bottlenecks that ensure that all streams stop when a packet is lost on a stream. Through the use of UDP, HTTP/3 does not wait for successful transmission, but continues the loading process.

HTTP/3 does not use introductory handshakes to check the security of a connection. Instead of submitting security inquiries to the higher-level TLS layer, encryption takes place directly via the transfer protocol. HTTP/3 reduces the round trip time when establishing a connection from two passes to only one.

HTTP/3 is no longer bound to IP addresses for a successful download, but uses individual connection IDs, which enable constant downloading even when changing networks.

Especially for mobile phone users, HTTP/3 should enable more comfortable surfing on a more stable, more flexible, and faster connection.

[added]
As for Cloudflare’s tests 15 months ago, that was evidentially with an earlier HTTP/3 draft and a patched server, not native. Many things have changed (and continue to do so.)