HTML vs CSS

design

Hi

I heard that using CSS styles, can reduce file size, in comparision with html pages

My question, is if exist a Program, like FrontPage, to create Pages with css, easily, a WYGIWYS editor for css, or something like that

Thanks

[quote]I heard that using CSS styles, can reduce file size, in comparision with html pages

My question, is if exist a Program, like FrontPage, to create Pages with css, easily, a WYGIWYS editor for css, or something like that[/quote]
CSS (Cascading Stylesheets) does not replace HTML, but it is an alternative to the presentational elements of HTML. You can reduce the file size of a page by using CSS to handle the positioning of items, instead of relying on some sort of nested table construct. Better still, you can reduce the file size (and enhance the flexibility) of an entire website by creating one or more stylesheets that are responsible for controlling the presentation of all of your pages.

There are no WYSIWYG editors that do great CSS; however, there are one or two that don’t do a bad job. If you have money to spend, I recommend Macromedia’s Dreamweaver software. It may be a bit expensive, but it does a better job than any other WYSIWYG software I know of. If you want something for free, I recommend Nvu, which is based on the original Mozilla Composer.

Remember: There is no substitute for hand coding. HTML and CSS are really quite easy to learn, and humans can do a far better job of web design than a WYSIWYG editor can.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites (business site) | si-blog (personal site with affiliate links)

Thanks

I found
http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/

And it seems great for editing CSS

Regards…

TopStyle is great for editing CSS. But the EDITOR in it is bloody screwed up. I’d never understood why it erased its undo stack everytime a document is saved.

There’s an option to stop that from happening - go to Options > Options, click on “Editor”, and then check the box that says “Enable Undo After Save”.

Green Eclipse.com has a small, free stylesheet tool called EclipseStyle. I agree that it’s best to learn how to write code, but why not learn from whatever code generator you start with?

~Chell

TopStyle will be beyond you right now. I’d suggest first learning what CSS is and how it can benefit you before trying to use TopStyle.

TopStyle is a great tool and I use it religiously for my HTML authoring, both (X)HTML and CSS files, even template files. It’s very powerful and quite useful. However, it’s not for the weak of heart. I’d suggest first learning the basics before getting intimidated by TopStyle’s abilities.

A good way to reduce file size, once you learn CSS, is to use an External Style Sheet.

Long story short, instead of creating CSS on every page, tell each page where to go for the CSS. I’m horrible at explaining this… I would advise going to www.lissaexplains.com.

Best Regards,
Brock H.