HTML Email

design

If you code up an HTML email, how do you get it to automatically open? I use gmail and sent myself one and instead of rendering it showed the code.

Good idea, html mails do get better clickthroughs than plain old text.

I think your problem is needing the correct headers to tell the mail reader client the content is html, and should be displayed inline.

Google html and email

I created the following testfile.html:

To: me@mydomain.tld
Subject: test html message
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="testfile.html"
Content-Base: http://www.mydomain.tld

Bold Test Mail

The blank line is important, it tells mail the headers have ended and the mail content begins. Everything after the first blank line in the file is content.

Then the very inelegant (OK, downright crude):
/usr/lib/sendmail -t < testfile.html

The -t says to read header information from input.

Not sure how DH feels about us running sendmail directly, though.

Regards,
Rudy

But they are evil, and should not be sent unless specifically requested. They ludicrously bloat email, and are often used for hiding links and spamming inboxes with PayPal/eBay scams.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

You say that like it’s a bad thing. :smiley:

I agree they can be evil. Still, I use coupons I get in email from my local pet shop. I used to use Blockbuster coupons (sent in email), until the local store closed. Then I unsubscribed.

As to the evil, there are apparently security problems with my accounts, not just at PayPal and eBay. Looking in my spam folder (filter on bank), my accounts at Wamu, Fifth Third Bank, Wells Fargo, Regions Bank, PNC bank, National City, and others apparently are notifying me of various security problems.