Htaccess

Hello everyone,
Recently I installed a plugin, to help block spammers, it works pretty good , but I have had some problems, and was told by the “support”(author of the plugin), that I needed to check the htaccess file, I am not very familiar with what the htaccess file is for, or does, but I have seen it, on another CP of another host I use, but here with dreamhost, I can not find any htaccess files, if I understand correctly, this htaccess file should have been created when I installed the plugin, the author commented that it should be there in the dir where the plugin is installed, but I might not be able to see it,… So I guess my question is how do I view any hidden files, ? if there are any. Or if anyone can point me to where I can learn more about htacess and htacces files,…thanks from Garry

You will need an ftp client, and they all have a setting most likely something like “show hidden files” that must be enabled, most aren’t by default but could be.

in linux/unix environments, hidden files are files that start with a . as in .htaccess

I haven’t checked dreamhosts webFTP client lately because I only allow sftp/ssh and disallow ftp for security reasons (you should too actually–but that’s a differnt topic.) but last i knew the webftp client would not show invisible files no matter how bad you wanted to see them. You could upload one correctly named, but never edit it.

[quote=“LakeRat, post:2, topic:60882”]
You will need an ftp client, and they all have a setting most likely something like “show hidden files” that must be enabled, most aren’t by default but could be.

in linux/unix environments, hidden files are files that start with a . as in .htaccess

I haven’t checked dreamhosts webFTP client lately because I only allow sftp/ssh and disallow ftp for security reasons (you should too actually–but that’s a differnt topic.) but last i knew the webftp client would not show invisible files no matter how bad you wanted to see them. You could upload one correctly named, but never edit it.
[/quote] OK, well no, the webFTP client, ( I do not like), has no “show hidden files” option that I can find, I like using SSH better, I think I know now, what I was doing wrong, I had not included the . when I tried to get to the htaccess file, via ssh,
thanks, this may help,
Edited: I got it now, that was why I could not find it, I did not include the dot, it was there and is what it should be Thanks again