Htaccess redirects not working

I inherited a monster htaccess file handling redirects for an old site to a new one - or rather redirecting some to the new site and others just creating pretty links. It has been working just fine until the last few weeks. All of a sudden, the redirects aren’t working.

Our new site is hosted on Wordpress. The old site uses XStandard (just shoot me) content manager. No new plugins have been installed anywhere.

I cannot figure out why, without warning, the redirects aren’t working. Below are the top codes and a few of the redirects of the htaccess page.

Help?
Thanks,
-Mel

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

END WordPress

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^secondarysitename.org
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mainsitename.org/righttoserve$1 [R=permanent,L]

RewriteRule ^article/([0-9]+)$ /article.php?article_id=$1
RewriteRule ^article/([a-z-]+)$ /article.php?keyword_title=$1
RewriteRule ^petition/([0-9]+)$ /application.php?application=petition&petition_id=$1

RewriteRule ^auction$ /application.php?application=auction
RewriteRule ^freebooklet$ /application.php?application=freebooklet
RewriteRule ^amazon$ /application.php?application=amazon
RewriteRule ^tellafriend$ /application.php?application=tellafriend

It’s not really clear whether you have installed WP recently and you are trying to integrate it with the old site or replace it or what. Nor is it clear which part is not working. But the rules are executed in order and the WP part will basically capture anything, so if you want any of the rules below it to apply, they’ll need to be moved up.