.HTAccess Folder not working

OK, I thought I was doing this right but clearly I am missing something (my droopy eyes should be a hint).

Anyway, I am trying to create a folder on one of my domains that can be accessed by three people. I thought it would be like the “old” FTP accounts where a folder is created, locked with user accounts, and file linking disabled. But anytime I try to log into this new folder I get an authentication error. Yet, my user and pass are correct.

I’m off to sleep – I’ll look for an answer in the AM, after proper amounts of coffee and sleep. :slight_smile:

-E

Just as a guess, you do have the file as all lowercase, right? Unix/Linux is case sensitive .HTAccess <> .htaccess

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

yep.

i am using the .htaccess/webdav setup section from my DreamHost account. worked great for a few client folders, etc. but this one, to ftp into, just won’t let us in.

.htaccess only applies to webserver/apache not FTP. Someone else might have more info.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

if you set the directory to be webDAV enabled, you cannot ftp into it. Dreamhost warns of this in the setup page for WebDav. :wink:

–rlparker

Ah, OK. I have a couple of webDAV folders and they work great. Then I have a folder setup for a client, and to access the information via the web browser you have to enter the username and password. This works great.

I did the number one stupid thing, I assumed that would be the same setup for an FTP area. Damn I hate being human sometimes. Too much XP lately I think. :slight_smile:

OK, so how do I create a folder that only a few people can access for FTP purposes?

-E

One way would be via symlinks. Just make sure those users have read/write or whatever permissions to that directory (create a group to assign ownership of that directory to, perhaps?), and you’re laughing. Unfortunately I don’t know how you’d manage it if you want to set it up so people can FTP into a WebDAV enabled directory. It should, in theory, be the same or siilar. But, as with most things linux, theory only lasts until you try and it pukes on you. Or someone else just tells you to stop smoking or share.

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?