How to work on site without publishing in real time

I am new, I apologize in advance for asking a question that may be so simple to answer, but I need to work on my site without my every move being seen as I make it. Is it possible to literally create my site without it being seen in real time? I would like to work on my site and complete it and then publish it live when I am ready. Any help you can provide would be great, thanks.

Set up Apache on a Local computer and develop your site on the local server, when it’s up as you like, move the files/database to your live server.

You won’t need a powerful computer, any old junker should work for a simple testing server. You can even run it in a virtual computer on your main system if you don’t have an old second computer to work with.

… or just host another domain at DreamHost e.g. http:///something.dreamhosters.com and then use that as your development environment (you don’t have to buy a new domain name or anything). When your changes are finished, copy the files to your live site… (the advantage of this is that you are testing your site in the same environment, and don’t have to worry about installing server software)

If developing on a DH server you can use a .htaccess file to keep everyone but yourself out.

order deny,allow deny from all allow from x.x.x.x

Replace x.x.x.x with your IP.