How to use own domain in name server - shared

i am using shared hosting in dreamhost

my domain is : domain.com

my name server now in whois is :
Name Server: NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
Name Server: NS2.DREAMHOST.COM
Name Server: NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

can i use my own domain in nameserver? if that so what facilities or feature to do that?

is ok if i need to pay for few bucks for it

Really? Now I feel bad for using it as an example all of those years. Guess I’ll get back to using example.com instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a thread that covers custom nameservers.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

I’m a little confused here. Reading the message I think he’s asking to use his domain name for his nameserver.

The problem with this is that the reason to use DNS is to resolve the name. If you say your nameservers are at ns.domain.com and a client machine tries to resolve domain.com, it then has to try to resolve ns.domain.com to find the name server. (causing a loop) This could be a hard thing to accomplish.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

I never messed with it, but other claim to have successfully setup custom nameservers here. Rlparker mentions in the thread that there are also reasons not to do it. I suppose an IP change could screw things up.

You still have to register them with your registrar and follow the steps in those threads.

I’m surprised DH doesn’t offer a simple custom nameserver setup option. That seems like one of the few things that most places offer (especially reseller accounts) that DH doesn’t. It has probably been explained at some point why they don’t… my guess would be some sort of complication with their panel backend, but who knows.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.