How to upload local site?

wordpress

Howdy thanks for helping this moderate newby out.

I’ve built a WordPress site locally, it works, looks as I want so far.

How do I move it to Dreamhost?. I’ve tried export/import. No luck. Fail on complete manual moving.

Obviously, the database is the issue.

If I clean out the Dreamhost Wordpress install completely (as in delete it) what is the sequence to building a new install that I can upload my local site to? How do I ensure the various database conventions all match? Do I need to manually edit the wp-config.php file every time or something? Does the import process edit the config file to point it to the sql databse on the Dreamhost server if that database is named something completely different?

Even now, when I think I atleast have a valid database running, I get this:

Warning: mysqli_set_charset(): Error executing query in /home/vinyl666/lavictrola2016.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 773

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/vinyl666/lavictrola2016.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php:773) in /home/vinyl666/lavictrola2016.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1207

This is how I handle it:

1. Install WordPress on server.

2. FTP wp-config.php file and wp-content directory from localhost to server.

3. Edit online wp-config.php file to make sure database name, host, user, and password point to server instead of localhost.

4. Use localhost install of phpMyAdmin to export local database (which will be small).

5. Use online phpMyAdmin to import database.

Mischief managed!

The less you do to the database, the better. All I do is export/import; I don’t mess with anything inside the database. I let phpMyAdmin do the work.

Excellent That is the path I am trying to follow now also except when importing into the remote mySQL, I am running into this problem:

Error
SQL query:

– Database: lavictrola2016

– Table structure for table nf_commentmeta

CREATE TABLE nf_commentmeta (

meta_id BIGINT( 20 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
comment_id BIGINT( 20 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘0’,
meta_key VARCHAR( 255 ) COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL ,
meta_value LONGTEXT COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci,
PRIMARY KEY ( meta_id ) ,
KEY comment_id ( comment_id ) ,
KEY meta_key ( meta_key ( 191 ) )