How to turn Network IP Back UP?

I’m reading out of a book to learn about networking and I ran the following command:

ip link set ens3 down

I didn’t think that through, I believe this turned off my ip network, so I couldn’t access the instance using SSH console to turn it back on again? When I tried getting into the shell, it’s just a blank page.

I think Dreamhost automatically brought back the ip network access again a few minutes later. In case this didn’t happen, how would I turn the network back up again remotely if it ever shuts down (ip link set ens3 up)?

Kind regards

Easy: destroy that machine and start a new one :slight_smile:

Another approach I can think only works if you have set a password for your local user: login from the online console. The issue here is that if you haven’t enabled a password login, you won’t be able to do anything.

Thanks for the info. I found this console, but couldn’t figure out the login. My main ssh user is simply the default “ubuntu” which is set up with password-less key login with Putty. Do I create a password for this “ubuntu” user, or am I supposed to come up with a separate user?

I did a Soft and Hard Reboot of the instance and this seemed to correct the issue.

Kind regards

of course! I should have thought of that!

Yes, that’s enough. You can also create a new user if you prefer but you’ll also remember to include that new user in sudoers if you do so.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.