How to start server?

I just opened a shared hosting account here in order to run a PHPbb forum that has been bogging down my main colo server. I’m a little confused about how to get the account to start serving http …

I am on slimy (205.196.208.18). As far as I can tell, there is no httpd running (that IP does not respond on port 80). What do I need to do to start it?

There’s no instance of Apache running on the machine’s main IP. You don’t have to do anything though - our system works it all out.

If you’re trying to do something weird (like just point a subdomain to us), there are some workarounds you can use…

I am running my own DNS though. What IP should I be pointing my hostname to, then?

What I want is this:

I have a site www.stuffz.net which is running on another host at another hosting company.

I would like to host test.stuffz.net here in my account at Dreamhost.

I am running my own DNS (at Zoneedit). I have already set up test.stuffz.net to point to 205.196.208.18 (slimy). However, test.stuffz.net does not respond on port 80, even though I have set it up as an active domain in the dreamhost control panel.

(The end goal is to have forums.stuffz.net, not test.stuffz.net… but I need to get the test one running first before I try the forums one, as forums is an active site.)

The cleanest way to do this would be:

1. Add a blah.dreamhost.com subdomain.
  2. Add a unique IP to it ($4.95/mo)
  3. make test.stuffz.net a CNAME to blah.dreamhost.com

Alternately, you can just lookup whatever hostname / domain you added via our authoritative nameservers and point the subdomain to that IP - however we make no promises that it won’t change.

I’m going to do the latter for now, but that still doesn’t solve the main problem, which is that that IP (205.196.208.18) does not respond on port 80!

It’s not supposed to! As I said in my original response, there is no webserver bound to that IP address.

See my response to your support inquiry too.

Ok… then can you please tell me what IP I am supposed to point my A records to?

Once you’ve setup a domain or subdomain on your account, you can query our authoritative nameservers for the IP.

[quote]test.stuffz.net
[/quote]

Server: 66.33.216.208
Address: 66.33.216.208#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: test.stuffz.net
Address: 205.196.208.18

Presumably 66.33.216.208 is not the authoritative nameserver, then? What is the correct nameserver to use?

Ah, the IP seems to be 205.196.213.165. (I found it through trial and error of all the ips reported by ifconfig…)

That just leaves mysql… 205.196.213.165 doesn’t seem to be right.

The mysql hostname I added was mysql.forums.stuffz.net, but without knowing what IP to point that to, that’s meaningless. Don’t tell me to query your DNS servers – your DNS servers aren’t authoritative for stuffz.net, and are just going to tell me whatever my DNS server tells them to tell me!

There are two problems here:

1. It takes a little while after you add something for our nameservers to respond for it. You’d want to use ns(1,2,3).dreamhost.com.
  2. I need to do some magic inside our system to make test.stuffz.net and forums.stuffz.net work properly. Note that if you try to add stuffz.net to our system ever in the future, it may cause some problems, so just be forewarned.

Now that I’ve done this, I think you can just add NS records for those subdomains to:
ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

if you want to set that up for your other subdomain, let me know.

I’ll response in more detail to your support inquiry.

bangs self on head

I didn’t realize you wanted me to delegate DNS for the subdomains to your nameservers rather than me hardcoding the IPs for my subdomains myself.

That makes a lot of sense, now that I realize it…

Well it wasn’t my original thought, but considering what you’re trying to do, it’s probably the cleanest way to do it. It’s actually not working the way it should be - so hold off on that for a few until I get that figured out.

I’ll respond to your support message when I get it working.

Ok. I’ve set up the following at ZoneEdit:
test.stuffz.net IN NS ns1.dreamhost.com
test.stuffz.net IN NS ns2.dreamhost.com
test.stuffz.net IN NS ns3.dreamhost.com

I can’t set up the forums.stuffz.net domain on my end until I am sure the test one is working. (forums.stuffz.net is extremely active, so I want to switch it in the middle of the night or something.)

So, please set it up as /if/ there are NS records like the above for forums.stuffz.net - I will make the change tonight sometime.

In the meantime, for the purposes of testing, can you please tell me the IP of mysql.forums.stuffz.net?

meow% dig @ns1.dreamhost.com forums.stuffz.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> @ns1.dreamhost.com forums.stuffz.net
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 29474
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;forums.stuffz.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
forums.stuffz.net. 14400 IN A 205.196.213.165

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
forums.stuffz.net. 14400 IN NS ns1.dreamhost.com.
forums.stuffz.net. 14400 IN NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
forums.stuffz.net. 14400 IN NS ns3.dreamhost.com.

All set on the test.stuffz.net side. I can’t touch forums.stuffz.net on my side until I’m confident everything works on the test side, because it’s in active use.

[dmd@eco ~]$ dig @ns14.zoneedit.com test.stuffz.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P2 <<>> @ns14.zoneedit.com test.stuffz.net
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 11515
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;test.stuffz.net. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
test.stuffz.net. 172800 IN NS ns1.dreamhost.com.
test.stuffz.net. 172800 IN NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
test.stuffz.net. 172800 IN NS ns3.dreamhost.com.

Now… what about mysql? I’ve created a mysql host, but it doesn’t seem to be in DNS…

Database: stuffztest / Size: KB
Service Type Setting Status Modify
stuffztest active [ Edit ] [ Delete ]
mysql.test.stuffz.net changed [ Edit ] [ Deactivate ]

[stuffz@slimy ~]$ dig mysql.test.stuffz.net @ns1.dreamhost.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> mysql.test.stuffz.net @ns1.dreamhost.com
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 30526
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mysql.test.stuffz.net. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
test.stuffz.net. 300 IN SOA ns1.dreamhost.com. hostmaster.dreamhost.com. 2004110500 16394 1800 1814400 300

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 66.33.206.206#53(ns1.dreamhost.com)
;; WHEN: Fri Nov 5 14:45:44 2004
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 103

NS records for forums.stuffz.net are in place now… I stuck a simple php-based redirect to send people to the old site for the time being.