How to resolve domain name to IP address

I am new to this, this is my first Domain Name registration. It took almost 6 days for Dreamhost to activate my account and things havent gone right since. I have searched all the parts of the Control Panel online and I cannot for the life of me find anywhere or any information ho to resolve my registered domain name to my ip address. I am doing all of my own hosting, as far as FTP and website and maybe email down the road. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Have you set up a fully hosted domain?
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.manage&

If you have a user, you can find the machine name in the panel:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=users.users&

As I look at your post, it makes me think that you’re only using DreamHost for DNS right now, because it looks like you’re hosting your domain at home or elsewhere. If this is the case, then it’s very difficult to use DreamHost’s DNS to resolve hosting at another site. I’d recommend a service like ZoneEdit or DynDNS.

-Scott

I think what makes this difficult is that DreamHost doesn’t allow changes to major A records such as www.yourdomain.com and ftp.yourdomain.com

If there was a way, this user would first have to create the domain here at DreamHost (even though it’s not hosted here) just to get DNS records to be able to edit under Manage Domains. But then they would see that the A record for “www.” and “ftp.” are non-editable records.

-Scott

I just tried it with one of my ‘spare’ domains and I was able to create the A-Record for mydomain.com without a problem.

The domain in question was originally hosted here, but I simply removed the hosting and the non-editable DNS records vanished allowing me to add my own.

Edit: Actually, I should point out that the non-editable records did not vanish when I deleted the hosting, they vanished when I added the main A-Record for the domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

If I remove hosting for my spare domains (one registered here, and one not), its entry in Manage Domains disappears so I can’t edit the DNS.

How do you get a non-hosted domain to show up in the Manage Domains listing?

-Scott

I didn’t do anything. After removing the hosting it stayed in the list, with the Web Hosting column showing none [Add Now].

On further reflection, if the domain is not already in the list it may be difficult (impossible?) to get it into the list if the account does not have a hosting plan attached. Therefore you would not be able to access the DNS link.

Edit: BTW, pinging the domain (and www.domain) from the DreamHost shell shows it resolving to the correct IP address.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Well, when I remove hosting, it doesn’t stay in the list. The panel must like you.

-Scott

Strange, the domain definitely stayed in the list for me. I simply removed the hosting (using the small X), then immediately went into the DNS configuration and added the A-Record(s). See the screen shot below;

http://www.razw.com/hosting.gif

That would be a first, I usually have the opposite effect on software of all types :stuck_out_tongue:

Mark

Ah, when I’ve removed hosting, it also sends me back to Manage Hosting and it says (none) and I could have clicked [dns], but I didn’t. When I do a refresh of Manage Domains, the domain disappears, so maybe the trick is to set up hosting, then remove hosting and immediately edit the DNS record before the domain disappears.

-Scott

OK, it kind of makes sense now, for a minute I thought I was using a different panel than you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I suspect that the method I originally posted, even though it worked for me, will not help the original poster as I assume he does not have a hosting plan attached to his account, therefore the domain will not be in the list, with no way of getting it there. Therefore, I think it best I delete my original post (while I still can) to prevent any possible confusion.

Mark

There’s nothing stopping someone from creating a fully hosted domain that doesn’t really exist. The original poster can create their own fully hosted domain, wait a few minutes, then do the quick delete-then-modify-dns trick.

-Scott

If I recall correctly, you can not add a fully hosted domain without a hosting plan attached to the account. As soon as you click on the ‘Add Domain / Sub-Domain’ link you are informed that you can not do so because you do not have a hosting plan.

Mark

Oh, yes. I always think that people who use DreamHost have bought hosting, and aren’t just here to register a domain.

In that case, back to the ZoneEdit or DynDNS suggestion.

-Scott