How to Log Into WebFTP?

Hi!

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to log into DreamHost WebFTP:
https://webftp.dreamhost.com/

archibald is my web server. I want to only use SFTP so my username, password, and files are protected during transfer. Can someone kindly help me fill in the blanks on what I enter to use WebFTP? Specifically:

FTP server: ???
port: 21 OR 22?
Passive mode: checked OR unchecked?
SSL: checked OR unchecked?

ChristophDollis.com - The Place to Come for More Appointments, More People in the Door, and More Sales!(sm)
LovingJacqui.net - My Personal Blog

I always do it from the Manage Domains page in the Panel:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.manage&

-Scott

Since Scott answered your question, I’ll just editorialize and respectfully suggest that you will likely be much happier in the long run obtain and using a “real” ftp client instead of the WebFTP (net2ftp) program.

It’s almost always a “better” tool!, IMHO. :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks, Scott, that worked.

ChristophDollis.com - The Place to Come for More Appointments, More People in the Door, and More Sales!(sm)

Good advice, rlparker! That’s what I do – WinSCP and I love it.

Sometimes, though, I need to edit a few .php files from a computer from which I can’t install software or use a USB drive.

I understand completely. You should be fine editing PHP files that way (at least most of the time), but don’t do it with a perl script - the editor in net2FTP (DreamHost’s “webFTP”) doesn’t generate proper *nix style line endings, and your script will break (and probably be really hard to debug unless you know of that “quirk”) :wink:

–rlparker

WHOA! That’s huge. Thanks for letting me know.

This question is entirely rhetorical; you don’t have to answer. Why the hell would they build it like that so it can’t make a proper line ending, whatever “proper” happens to be.

I’ll stick to FTP clients. I appreciate your taking the extra time to educate me about this.

No problem … I just though you should know about it, so that you could hopefully be spared the frustration of having a script that looks completely proper start generating “500 Internal Server Errors” and you go nutso trying to figure out why it doesn’t work.

Rhetorical or not, I think it’s a fair question. Part of the problem is what “proper” is defined to be! And you know, users already have to deal with the differences between DOS/Windows, MAC, and *nix line endings anyway :wink:

In practice, editing a file in webFTP seems to work fine for some stuff, but not with others (most notably, it seems to cause problems with perl). I haven’t researched it enough to understand the nuances/possibly work-arounds, etc., and I probably won’t, as I use editors that let me set my line endings for *nix style when I am working on files to be uploaded to DreamHost, or just uses native *nix editors in the shell.

It may, in fact, only be a problem with editing perl scripts (which is the circumstance in which I have had the problem, and the circumstance I have seen reported as it being a problem) - I just prefer to avoid the potential problem altogether.

–rlparker