How to log in to build website?

I haven’t used my DreamHost account in a long time and I don’t remember how any of it works. Everything that was on my site is gone because I let my account go inactive.

How do I get started again?

Thanks!!

I’ve managed to log in and use web FTP to upload a file called “default.html” to the server, but when I try to go to mydomainname.com/default.html I get this:

"Not Found

The requested URL /default.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Hi there, from the symptoms you describe it’s possible that you have uploaded the file in the wrong folder. Have a look at this article on the Knowledge Base to get a reminder on how to use DreamHost hosting tools: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214920778-Where-do-I-put-my-files-once-connected-via-FTP-

In addition to this help article, please also check that you are logging in with the correct FTP credentials. Navigate to “Manage Domains” in the Dreamhost panel and check the “Web Hosting” column. A “User” is listed there, you must be logging in to ftp with THAT user.

Yes! This was the problem. I actually totally forgot that the files had to be in a folder at all, so I just uploaded them to the root. Thank you!!
[hr]

Yup, this is where I was stuck when I first started this thread. I figured it out, though, and was successfully uploading stuff to the right user/domain, just not to the right folder. Thank you! :slight_smile:

New question: Every time I update my css style sheet, I have to delete it from the server before uploading the new version or it will just create a copy of the file called myCSS-1.css instead of writing over myCSS.css

How do I change this setting? I am basically reteaching myself HTML and CSS, so I make one little change, upload it, check how it looks, fix it, check it again, then repeat the whole process. It is very tedious to have to delete the files each time I want to replace them, plus it obviously won’t work once my site goes live.

TIA!

Are you using a web-based ftp client? If so, try using something like FileZilla instead.

Thanks! This was a great suggestion. It took less time to download and set up FileZilla than it was taking to delete and re-upload each page on DreamHost’s web FTP