How to "link" a registered name with a domain?

wordpress

hi all,

i have what i hope is a really straight-forward question:

i’ve had my domain hosted at dreamhost for a while now. when i signed-up i didn’t take advantage of the “free name” offer, instead sticking with the xxx.dreamhosters.com name instead.

however i recently decided to register a domain name, again here at dreamhost.

that all seemed to go smoothly, but what i can’t work out is this: how do i “link” this name to my hosted domain? is it something to do with “DNS”, “A Records”, or some other such hocus-pocus?

or is it simply the case that i just have to wait a few days and everything will happen automagically? (i only registered the name a day or two ago and if i try to visit it at the moment i just get an “address not found” error page.)

i’ve tried looking on the wiki for info about this but i couldn’t find anything. any help from anyone in here would be much appreciated!

cheers,

tom.

I think maybe you are not really understanding what is happening with the domain names. a "something@dreamhosters.com" domain name is an entirely different domain that one that your register, and they each have their own directory under your user on the Dreamhost server.

What you really need to do is not so much a matter of “linking” the site to one domain or the other as it is setting up the files in the appropriate directory so they they are served when DNS looks up the domain named that is entered.

Assuming that both the dreamhosters.com and the new domain name are under the same user, and depending upon what you have installed there, the easiest way to to do what you want is to just rename the directory “whatever.dreamhosters.com” to “younewdomain.tld” - then, whatever is shown in that directory will be displayed when a visitor browses to younewdomain.tld"

That said, there are some caveats here: If your content is driven by scripts (WordPress, Joomla, etc. ) there are other steps you must take to modify your configuration files so that they reflect the new domain name after the re-name of the directories, or they will not work properly.

An additional approach to dealing with this is to simply re-install your applications/files in the new directory created for the “yourdomainname.tld”.

Good Luck!

–rlparker

How did you build your original abc.dreamhosters.com site? Is it static html or is it some kind of webapp?

One step most people miss after registering a domain is adding it to your list of DreamHost hosted domains. In the “Manage Domains” section of the control panel, choose “Add a Domain / Subdomain”. Then add your new thoughton.org domain as a “fully hosted” domain.

If you want the content that was previously at abc.dreamhosters.com to now appear as thoughton.org, the best course of action will depend on whether you have static html files or are running wordpress or some other web app.

Let us know and we’ll be able to provide more info!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

[quote]One step most people miss after registering a domain is adding it to your
list of DreamHost hosted domains. In the “Manage Domains” section of the
control panel, choose “Add a Domain / Subdomain”. Then add your new
thoughton.org domain as a “fully hosted” domain.

[/quote]

yep, that’s what i missed, you’re absolutely right! thanks for pointing that out. it’s a shame the dreamhost instructions didn’t make this a little clearer for realtive n00bs like myself, but no matter.

thanks a lot for your help, both of you.

oh, and incidentally, i’ve only got static content at the moment, and very little at that, so there shouldn’t be any problem with moving it across.

thanks again,

tom.

Anytime. Glad to hear we solved your problem!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options