How to keep someone from taking my domain name

Hello,
I am very new to domain information, but I need some advice. Please read the email below and let me know if I am being paranoid. I asked someone to help with my website because the person who set it up has become unreachable. The new person sent this email to occupyspacecoast.org@proxy.dreamhost.com.

“Hello, The person that setup occupyspacecoast.org for the customer DeeConstant fancypant@hotmail.com has become completely unavailable to bereached. What is the process to take ownership of the domain name that belongsto Dee Constant ? - David”

Is there anything I can do to keep my domain?
Thanks so much. I hope I didn’t post to the wrong thread.

It looks like your domain name was registered through dreamhost. Are you able to log into your dreamhost account that has this domain added? Just because the person who was working on your site has disappeared, that doesn’t mean you lose control of the domain. This is assuming that it is your dh account and this other guy wasn’t the one who actually set up the dh account and registered the domain with his information. If the dh account belongs to you (you are paying for it?) then you have nothing to worry about. You just need to start managing the website yourself which shouldn’t be too complicated since I see it is a wordpress site. Also I would change the password if this other guy was using your login. If they had a different login I would go to manage users and delete the one they were using if it is different from the one you use to log in.

If you cannot log into the account you should contact support and discuss this with them.

Thank you so much for all the advice. The person who created this site did it as a service for a group of us. He never asked for money nor mentioned that it cost to create the site. He has disappeared. A new person offered to fix some issues, but then he sent that email. Am I being paranoid? I only have a log-in to the site where I am an administrator.
Forgive my ignorance please.
Thank you.

So you don’t have access to the actual dreamhost control panel? I would definitely contact support to see what they can do for you.

It should not be too hard to sort out who bought and paid for the domain registration since the domain was registered like 2 weeks ago.

Record created on 2011-10-09 16:39:53.
Record expires on 2012-10-09 16:39:53.