How To Install Wordpress.com (not .org) blog on Dreamhost

Hi folks,

I don’t know if there’s anybody out there on here now that can help me, but I’ve scrolled Youtube tutorials and searches for the answer. I have a Wordpress.com blog that I want to install onto Dreamhost (to host on a specific domain, which I have ‘fully hosted’ on Dreamhost) and I am scared to hit ‘one-hit install’ because I noticed that it is for Wordpress.org…so is .com and .org blogs the same thing? Is there anything on the end of my Wordpress blog I need to do before I hit one-click install?

I am pretty much switching out an entire website for this new blog, so I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing before installing…so PLEASE if anybody sees this right now, and can help me, I THANK YOU sooooo much…I need to get this done before tomm!! Eeek!
[hr]
Somebody please? Is wordpress.com and wordpress.org the same thing???

Please can anybody help? I am finding nothing and I’ve been searching for three hours. I just need to know if when I hit ‘one-click install’ for Wordpress, it will point to my Wordpress.com blog?

I see why you’re confused.

So you don’t install WordPress.com anywhere. it’s what you call a ‘managed’ host. They have all the files.

You’d want to follow these directions: http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/#moving-to-wordpress-org

To put it in simple terms:

[list]
[*] WordPress is the name of the software. Not “wordpress.org” or “wordpress.com” — those are both web sites.

[*] wordpress.org is the web site that you can download WordPress from, along with WordPress themes and plugins. It’s also where the WordPress developers hang out.

[*] wordpress.com is a company that hosts some WordPress blogs. They have a free starting option, but various upgrades that you’re likely to want (e.g, removing ads, using your own domain name, customizing the theme) cost money.

[/list]

While it’s possible to point your DreamHost domain to your existing blog at wordpress.com, you will need to pay them for that upgrade. Since you already have a hosting plan with DreamHost, you’d be best off moving your blog over here like Ipstenu described.

Thank you both so much! It makes more sense! Thanks again!