New Relic is a modern performance monitoring service capable of analyzing infrastructure and application. The server monitoring tool can be installed on DreamHost VPS without
sudo and with a little bit of patience.
First download the latest release from New Relic in your VPS:
[VPS server]:~$ wget https://download.newrelic.com/server_monitor/release/newrelic-sysmond-184.108.40.206-linux.tar.gz
[VPS server]:~$ tar xvzf newrelic-sysmond-*-linux.tar.gz
Then prepare your VPS user’s home to hold the monitor agent by creating directories for the configuration file, the binary and the logs:
[VPS server]:~$ mkdir -p bin var/log var/run etc
Move the 64-bit version of the New Relic monitoring daemon to your
[VPS server]:~$ mv newrelic-sysmond-*-linux/daemon/nrsysmond.x64 bin/nrsysmond
and copy the template configuration file to
[VPS server]:~$ cp newrelic-sysmond-*-linux/nrsysmond.cfg etc/
Once you have your license key for the server monitor, head back to your VPS and edit
~/etc/nrsysmond.cfg to add the license and to change the location of the log file you created before. The file will have the following keys modified:
To start the daemon simply run the command below:
[VPS server]:~$ ./bin/nrsysmond -c etc/nrsysmond.cfg
After a few minutes, you will see the server popping up in the New Relic UI.
Things to be aware of
- Because of how DreamHost VPS run, you may notice that the CPU reports seem busy. This is due by the way the VPS system operates: New Relic (like system level
top) sees the host CPU utilization, not the individual virtual CPU.
- New Relic is quite more valuable at monitoring applications. See how to install the PHP applications monitor.
- If the VPS is restarted, you have to manually restart New Relic monitor.
- When New Relic releases a new version of its tools, you’ll have to manually update the software.
- DreamHost has no official relationship with New Relic. This howto was produced for education only and is not an officially supported document. In fact, this post is a wiki: if you have suggestions, please edit it (or leave comments if your trust level is not high enough yet.)