How to forward home server to subdomain on dreamhost

So I’m not entirely sure what to even search for here- I now have my home server set up, SSL and the such so I can access my Jellyfin and Mumble servers while I’m at work. At the moment I’m using duckdns with their forwarder through docker to update my IP address and everything works but… I pay for a domain I might as well use it, right? So what I’m looking at doing is redirecting say jellyfin.mydomain.tld to my home server. How would I go about doing this? Is there a way to auto check and update my IP address in case my home IP changes?

I would assume you would contact your ISP to see if you could get a static IP address, then point your domain there.

They may force you to upgrade to a business account for that service.

1 Like

You could host the subdomain in Panel as a Redirected domain.

Panel → Domains → Manage Domains → Add Hosting to a Domain / Sub-Domain
Scroll down to Redirect
Domain to redirect: jellyfin.domain.tld
Redirect to URL: https://<duckdns URL>/

1 Like

Since you’re already using DuckDNS for Dynamic DNS (DDNS), you could use a DNS CNAME type record to create an alias from your domain to your DuckDNS name. In classic Zone-file format, it would be as follows, but you’d likely set it up thru your DNS hosting dashboard:

NAME                    TYPE   VALUE
--------------------------------------------------
jellyfin.mydomain.tld   CNAME  exampledomain.duckdns.org

With that CNAME record, the name jellyfin.mydomain.tld will resolve to the IP address for exampledomain.duckdns.org (which you are already setting dynamically).

Note that most DNS hosting services support DDNS clients one way or another – either via a standard protocol, or custom API. So you could probably directly set an A record for jellyfin.mydomain.tld without going thru DuckDNS. If your DNS hosting is at DH, then there are some 3rd party scripts available (search web for more):

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/216944818-API-Apps#d_n_s

1 Like

Just a FYI - early in the evolution of the internet (pre-broadband) I hosted a couple sites on my home computer… nothing but problems. Even though the web operates much faster now, a home computer connected to an ISP will typically have a slow upstream and may have issues supporting requests from various user proxies.

Hosting at DH doesn’t cost much. I’d seriously consider it. Webservers are connected to backbones, use fast DNS, have redundancy, security… etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.