How to delete DNS records

This is urgent:

We have a site that is down, email is down and the DNS is a mess (probably my fault as a novice). How do we delete certain DNS entries that conflict with the ones we need to include?

For example: type A and Cname cannot coexist. So how do we change or delete these entries?

I don’t know how to get support to respond quickly

Jack

Web Designer Preeminent

Can you be more specific? What’s the domain in question and what are the entries you’re seeing problems with?

Did our system let you add a CNAME for a record for which another record already existed? It shouldn’t, so we should definitely fix that if that’s the case.

Did you add these entries via the panel? Do you have an entry that conflicts with one of the records we generate automatically, or did you add both entries?

Will, my answers, but first, Brian made the changes for us. However, the mail host (GoDaddy.com) specified MX 10 and 50 for their mail servers and Brian used 0. I am concerned if that will work the same and why he did not use 10 and 50.

[quote]My answers to your questions:

[/quote]

Can you be more specific? What’s the domain in question and what are the entries you’re seeing problems with?

[quote]amgjets.com and prestigetransport.com

[/quote]

Did our system let you add a CNAME for a record for which another record already existed? It shouldn’t, so we should definitely fix that if that’s the case.

[quote]It would not let me add a CNAME for an entry for which your system had already automatically entered a type A and there was no information about how to remove unwanted listings.

[/quote]

Did you add these entries via the panel?

[quote]I used the MX panel, which Brian said should not be used. You should correct that imformation.

[/quote]

Do you have an entry that conflicts with one of the records we generate automatically, or did you add both entries?

[quote]Yes. Your Brian had to make the entries for us. There were conflicts everywhere and your instructions were non-existent or overly simplistic at best. We did not know to disable or deactivate the mail first. There were no “Edit” links available in the DNS panel prior to Brian’s changes. Very time consuming and frustrating for me. The client had had problems with the previous host and that is why I was able to get their business.

[/quote]

Jack

Web Designer

Well the specific numbers don’t matter, but if one is supposed to be higher, there still needs to be one that’s higher.

For instance, 0 and 1 would be the same as 10 and 50 (assuming there are no other MX records); 200 and 400 would also be the same (the weight is just based on which number is higher; an equal metric (0 and 0, for example) will result in an equal preference).

For most cases, you should use the “Mail -> MX” tab to effect this sort of change.

Well, Brian S said not to use the MX panel for this particular purpose. Maybe you guys need to talk. How are we supposed to know when and when not to?

Do I need to go back into the DNS and change it to 10 and 50?

This company’s mail has got to start working.

Web Designer

If you don’t want to put the domain name in question in your messages, I can’t really look into it. If you want, submit a support request with attention to me, and I’ll look at it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Every situation is different, and I don’t want to say anything else until I can take a look at what’s really going on here.

I did put the domains in my second reply in the message tree:

www.prestigetransport.com

At this moment, the email is still down.

Thanks for your help.

Web Designer

The problem is that the records were both added as “mail.[domain]”, but one is supposed to be “mail.[domain]” and the other is supposed to be “email.[domain]”. Since a zone can’t have two CNAMEs for the same resource record, the updated zone wasn’t getting loaded at all.

I’ve fixed this for you, and everything looks good. Should be totally fixed within 2-3 hours.