How to Create URL Redirect

I’m new to DreamHost. What is the easiest way to create a simple redirect?

I want:

to go to:

Any thoughts?

You can do it via .htaccess or in Panel.

Personally, I’d use .htaccess directives (Panel settings are too easily forgotten).

you can do a 301 redirect. place the following into an .htaccess file and place it in the root directory of your website

301 Redirect /index.php

what i would recommend though (and what you possibly may find preferable) since you are using wordpress this thread may be helpful:

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:57399”]
You can do it via .htaccess or in Panel.

I’m new, not very experienced, and using iWeb to build websites. Therefore, I don’t have access to the webpage code. You mention that you can do this in the Panel, but could you tell me how?

I’ve tried the redirect command in the Manage Domains panel, but it will not allow you to redirect the domain to itself.

Thank you for any help you can provide

That might be Remap SubDir you’re looking at.

To change a domain’s root path in Panel, go to Domains > Manage Domains

1. Click EDIT next to domain you want to alter and edit the path on the next page:

2. Web Directory: /home/username/

3. Click Change Settings

Sorry I’m butting in here. I have the same question sort of. I want a url on my domain to go to another site though to make it easier to type. I tried to look in the panel with no luck. Am I looking in the wrong place? I want let’s say

to go to a very long url on another site which I can’t remember right now. I don’t have experience with htaccess and I don’t want to brake anything.

Take care and be blessed.

“Sort of”…but not. You have a different question and should start your own thread to help get a better response. This thread is from two years ago.