How to create sub domain at the main page

I am still new to this thing here, so please can anyone help me out…

say I have a domain called http://abc.com and I want this to redirect to my IP address, however I don’t want the URL in the web browser to change. Can I do that?

I know that I can create subdomain and have http://test.abc.com redirect to my IP while still keeping the URL. But is it possible to do it from http://abc.com itself?

I tries adding a custom DNS record with Name blank, type A with value of my IP. It doesn’t seems to do the redirect… but if the Name is not blank (‘test’ in the example above) it works fine…

Can anyone help me to get abc.com to do the redirect?

I think this is one of those things that only DreamHost support can help you with.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Adding an A-Record with a blank name field should have had the desired result, did it produce an error when you tried to add this A-Record? I ask because if you have previously added the domain to the hosting system via ‘Add New Domain /Sub_domain’, you will be unable to add the main (blank) A-Record.

Note: After adding the A-Record it can take some time (up to 72 hours) for the DNS changes to propagate across the Internet and the domain to start resolving to your IP address.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Its a few hour until 72 hours since I activate, I will try waiting that out…

(Although I tries active both “test”, and “blank” at the same time, “test” is working correctly. already)

And Under "Non-editable DreamHost DNS records "
There is an try for “blank” type=A redirection in it.
Does it overwrite my Custom DreamHost DNS entry?

[quote]And Under "Non-editable DreamHost DNS records "
There is an try for “blank” type=A redirection in it.
Does it overwrite my Custom DreamHost DNS entry?[/quote]
This indicates that you have the domain configured to be hosted at DreamHost, that is to say the domain has been added to the hosting system via ‘Add New Domain /Sub-Domain’.

Normally, if you want the domain to resolve to your IP address, you would first remove it from the DreamHost hosting system by going to Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel and clicking the small [X] link under the Web Hosting column. Once the changes have made their way through the system, the ‘Non-Editable’ DNS records should be removed, allowing you to add the ‘blank’ A-Record.

Having said that, I just did a small test on one of my test domains and added a ‘blank’ A-Record pointing to my home IP address. Surprisingly, this A-Record was added without error, even though the domain was configured to be fully hosted here at DreamHost, so I (like you) ended up with 2 ‘blank’ A-Records, the one I added and the non-editable one pointing to the DreamHost server.

After flushing my local DNS with ipconfig /flushdns, I found that the domain was resolving to my home IP address.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I wanted to thank you, Mark, for this tidbit! It’s exactly the thing I needed to do for one of my sites where I need to host the primary domain somewhere else and a couple of subdomains here at DreamHost.

-lensman

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

No problem lensman, I am glad the info was of some use to you.

I remember having similar problems with those ‘non-editable’ DNS records, until I realized that I could remove the hosting option from the domain, or simply not add a hosting option in the first place.

Mark