How to create directories, sub-directories

Dreamhost instructions for changing the directory location of a Wordpress install say:

Create the new location for the core WordPress files to be stored (we will use /wordpress in our examples). (On linux, use mkdir wordpress from your www directory. You’ll probably want to use “chown apache:apache” on the wordpress directory you created.)

But can find no instructions anywhere on Dreamhost that explain HOW to create the new location!

How do I accomplish making a directory?

I was hoping to create several, one for each of my subsites such as www.onemanz.com/guitar

But now I also need to make one for the Wordpress install location.

Thanks

You need to use ssh or sftp (or ftp if you’ve allowed that) to get into your server and perform those instructions.

Personally I’d suggest ssh, for which you can use Putty if you’re on windows.

It’s worth noting that with one install of Wordpress you can manage several (sub)sites, which seems easier than installing a copy of Wordpress for each.

Thanks!

I just discovered the WordPress concept of a “network” of sites, and it sounds like that is what I need to do. That way I do not have to worry about forcing WP to allow posts on subpages, and I can just use the main blog page of each networked site.

I also installed FileZilla to use as my FTP manager, that allows me to make subfolders in my FTP, which seem to be the same thing as a sub directory for the server.

Now, when I go to my test subdirectory on a browers

onemanz.com/guitar, I get

Not Found

The requested URL /guitar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So I will go into my WordPress and Dreamhost consoles and see if I can something to appear published on that directory.

Thanks!