How To Create A Wordpress Test Blog?

I searched for relevant info and came up empty.

I have a blog and would like to make a test (sandbox) blog to test out styles, themes, and whatnots., just for me to play around with and learn wordpress better.

Am I correct that I could just create a subdirectory and do a one click install of wordpress into that subdirectory?
like http://www.mywebsite.com/subdirectory

I want to be sure the test blog won’t screw up my primary blog, and I’m not sure whats the best strategy.

Appreciate any help for the clueless…

That or create a subdomain, whichever strikes you as more fun!

Sometimes the subdomain will be better for testing out any url rewrites you might have the occasion to do for yourself.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You can install a webserver on your PC to install a local version of whatever you want, easiest to use is wampserver or xammp if you use windows.

You could create a subdomain and use a different database this would be perfectly safe but if you set up a server on your PC you don’t have to keep uploading any changes you make.

Get [color=#00CC00]FULL DISCOUNT[/color] off any hosting plan using [color=#CC0000]DISCOMBO97[/color].

Ok the subdomain idea sounded even better than a subdirectory, so I went to Manage Domains and created one.
I made: sandbox.mywebsite.com and got the message it was successfully created. And it shows up on the Manage Domains panel. But when I try from the panel the browser just times out trying to look up the address. I ftp’d up an index.html into the directory thinking maybe it needed that, but no dice. Its been over an hour since creation… should it be up by now? Or is it normal to take this long?

Thanks again for the help…

[quote]Ok the subdomain idea sounded even better than a subdirectory, so I went to Manage Domains and created one.
I made: sandbox.mywebsite.com and got the message it was successfully created. And it shows up on the Manage Domains panel. But when I try from the panel the browser just times out trying to look up the address. I ftp’d up an index.html into the directory thinking maybe it needed that, but no dice. Its been over an hour since creation… should it be up by now? Or is it normal to take this long?[/quote]
Subdomains can take a few hours to propagate. Not as along as when you change your nameservers, but it’s not instant.

Anyway, what you can do in the interim is temporarily add an entry to your HOSTS file on your local pc. You can find out the IP address that DreamHost has assigned to your subdomain by clicking on the DNS link in “Manage Domains”. Then add a line with that IP address and the fully qualified subdomain name (sandbox.mywebsite.com) to your hosts file - typically it’s in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.

At any rate, I suspect I’m too late and DNS has propagated and you’re working on the sandbox already. :slight_smile: Well, it’s good info for the next time!

Glad to be of service!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Hey its up! Thanks for all the good help and info…much appreciated. Now excuse me while I go jump in my sandbox and play. Play that it is till I screw something up and come back for futher illuminations…

LOL. Good deal!