How to Change IP Address on DHC Instance

dreamcompute

Google Gmail and Microsoft Hotmail and other web mail systems are refusing/bouncing mail from our new DHC instance. The problem is that we entered an AAAA record for the IPv6 address in our GoDaddy DNS zone and there is no PTR record for that address. We thought deleting the IPv6 address in our GoDaddy DNS zone file would correct the problem. That has not worked. Gmail, Hotmail, etc. are still bouncing due to no IPv6 PTR record.

Our thinking now is the best way to fix this is change our IP address on the instance. Then we update our IPv4 DNS records and the email should then go through. Since we are new to DHC, how do we change the IP address on a running instance?

Thank you in advance for your response.

-BeauS

UPDATE: Late yesterday we were able to get “Conditionally mitigated” by outlook.com. We hope that means we are mitigated for notmail.com and live.com as well. We applied to be unblocked my Gmail but as of this writing that has not been granted.

We would still like to know the procedure to change the IPv4 address assigned to our primary DHC instance. Hopefully by changing the IPv4 address and NOT entering the IPv6 address in our GoDaddy DNS zone file, this problem will be corrected.

-BeauS

I asked about IP addresses a while back, and this is what another user posted (last message on the page):

Cloud IPs are by default blocked by most ISPs since they are not owned by any entity and can be used for spam easily.

You use other cloud services which have reputable IPs for sending your mail: Mailgun, SendGrid, Amazon SES for example of some services.

Sending mail from your own server is no longer the way to go.

Good point. I use SendGrid. Their free plan lets you send up to 12,000 emails per month. The catch is that you need to authenticate the send process.

That’s true, the IP addresses assigned to an instance are designed not to change. If you’d like a different address, you could launch a new server and migrate the data to the new one.

Thanks for the replies. It is disappointing that cloud servers are blocked my Gmail and Yahoo by default. I am still trying to get back in the good graces for Gmail, since that is what our school uses to email students. I was successful a few months ago setting up a local server on a residential Charter.net account. It works great…until my IP address gets changed by Charter. That is why I wanted to move to a commercial cloud server in the first place.

Thanks for the ideas on the mail servers. I will will check them out.

-BeauS