How much resources do I need

I am hosting two websites on dreamhost VPS. Fours months ago I had huge traffic (25000 pageviews/day)on one of my website SiteA. and 500 pageviews on SiteB. I used wp-supercache and my sites worked find on 300MB memory on a Virtual Private Server.

Then SiteA’s visitors started dropping dramatically and today I have only 1000 to 1500 pageviews a day on that site. SiteB started getting a bit popular and it also have 1000 to 2000 pageviews perday. Despite the fact that my pageviews dropped heavily, and i have not made any changes to my sites except for just two new posts in four months. My webhost is showing downtime. My website would go down and server would start refusing connection several times a day.

Now even though my pageviews has dropped nearly 75% but my webhost dreamhost is telling me that I need more memory or else I will continue having trouble with my site going down for a few minutes during memory spikes on my server.

Both sites run on wordpress. Both use minimum plugins, w3-total-cache, Akismet. Both sites serve only text and images. I am having trouble telling the support team that my site is not having a lot of visitors in fact i am loosing visitors really fast. But they just keep telling me that I need to increase memory on my server.

This means that I will be paying a total of $25 per month to serve just 3000 pageviews. I think this is not correct. Can someone please help me figure out whats going on here so that I can fix it? I am comunicating with Dreamhost’s support team for a month now and they usually have very static responses they either tell me to read wikipages and follow instructions there (Which I did many times and I have optimized my websites to the best of my understanding) OR increase memory. I do not think I need this much memory to serve just a few thousand pageviews. I would be very thankful if someone can help me figure out hwo to solve this issue.

SiteA: http://desi-galaxy.sabza.org
SiteB: http://www.simple-easy-recipes.com

[quote=“noumaan204, post:1, topic:55855”]
This means that I will be paying a total of $25 per month to serve just 3000 pageviews. I think this is not correct. Can someone please help me figure out whats going on here so that I can fix it?[/quote]

Depends on your current resource usage. My busiest site gets 10k successful page requests per day and it’s on shared hosting. WordPress uses 30 MB minimum just to render a page, and it can take 3-10 seconds.

I use a custom framework which averages 4-5 MB memory per request and page render times of <350 ms for the vast majority of pages. It uses about 300 seconds of CPU time per day which is not enough to justify a VPS and is well within DH’s resource guidelines for shared hosting.

What do your resource logs say? How much memory’s being used? How much CPU time?