How many people are on each server?

How many sites are on each server?
I was wondering becuase after looking at a lot of sites hosted by DreamHost, the most I found was like 22 sites on a server…

I doubt they go by number of sites, but by the load those sites put on the server. Not to mention, there are tons of parked domains, mirrors, redirects, etc… that don’t make much of a difference, so a domain count wouldn’t mean too much.

Even if you went by number of users, it wouldn’t mean much, since one user could have one site that’s a resource hog, while another has 300 parked domains that aren’t doing much.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

I don’t know precisely what this stat means, but when I looked up my domain name at http://whois.sc, it returned this statistic: Reverse IP: Web server hosts 18 websites

I have no idea how accurate that is, but I found it interesting.

BC Tech
Team Shocker

22 sites is an absurdly low number for a quad-processor server. Note that each server has multiple public IP addresses, and these stats are per-address:

kchrist@dreamhost:~>$ hostname gap kchrist@dreamhost:~>$ grep -c "^[^#]\s*address" /etc/network/interfaces 48 48 addresses on gap, minus two on private address space (10.0.0.0/8).

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

last I checked, I had about 54 I think.

I think a better aproach, not to how many sites have what server… but how many users have each, is to count the home’s that exist on that server (I’m pretty aware that each home can had a lot of sites)… so I do this:
grep home /etc/passwd -c
(this on a business account)
grep home /etc/passwd -c
(this on a CDI)

:smiley:
Looks like there are less users on the business… also the cpu charge is really different:
10:09:03 up 8 days, 19:37, 11 users, load average: 4.87, 4.09, 3.80
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
(on CDI)
10:09:25 up 25 days, 12:20, 2 users, load average: 1.29, 1.25, 1.18
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
(On business)

Regards

[quote]grep home /etc/passwd -c
509[/quote]
I am seeing 561 users on my server ‘Bixel’.

Mark

Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code “SAVEFIFTY” ( DreamHost Promo Code )

I’m seeing 962 on herod

363 on Neo

Granted Neo is one of the oldest servers they have.

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).

Where??

I can’t see them on me!

how do you know how old the server is?

I’ve been with them a long time. Also one of the honchos said it was one of the oldest machines.

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).

Given that the server list linked below shows ‘NEO’ as a dual PIII 600, I’d say the honcho was correct :slight_smile:

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Server_Statistics

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEFIFTY[/color] ( Click for details )