How many Clients per box?

On another Forum someone said that Dreamhost Has been known to put over 8000 Active clients on one box, There is no way this is true, could a dreamhost staff clear this up?
Thanks - Mini

If you want an official answer from DreamHost, then you are asking in the wrong place. This forum is primarily a user to user support forum. DreamHost staff do post here on a semi-regular basis, but this is not the best place to get answers from DreamHost. I suggest you use the contact form linked below;

http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

I don’t know DreamHost’s policies on such things, but I very much doubt any of their shared servers have anywhere near this number of customers on them.

For example, my particular server has around 600 users on it, but since each customer can have many users under their account, the number of customers is going to be less than this. I’d guess the number, for my server at least, would be around 2 or 3 hundred customers.

I will also add that I rarely suffer from any load problems on my server.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Don’t believe everything you read in forums. I’ve also seen some misleading remarks at some known forums, just to put down Dreamhost.
As Mark said, if you need an official reply, you need to ask Dreamhost.

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef

From http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/116_Common_Questions

[quote]100. How many clients do you have?

As of November 2006, over 150,000.

1. How many web sites do you host?

As of November 2006, over 360,000. [/quote]
From http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2006/12/21/gradius-memory-bad-replacing-now/#comments

[quote]Andre Says:
December 22nd, 2006 at 8:21 am

The amount of whining here is amazing. Dreamhost runs (according to them) over 700 servers. …

Kelly Says:
December 22nd, 2006 at 10:39 am

Andre: That count is a little old actually. :slight_smile: We’re up over 1200 now according to the database query I just ran. [/quote]
So, that’s about 125 clients per server and 300 domains per server, on average.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few times that on some servers. They shift things around as needed.

They need more support help.
Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Clients/domains per server is pretty much meaningless. It’s what those sites are doing that matters.

I’d rather share a server with 1,000 low traffic static sites than one poorly coded dynamic site that keeps finding it’s way to Digg/Slashdot/etc.

Here’s what “uptime” shows for the server I’m on:

23:09:29 up 33 days, 19:57, 2 users, load average: 0.91, 1.64, 1.95

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.