How many are leaving?

Let me first say I am not going to be up in arms if my site goes down from time to time. That’s just part of shared hosting. However when my site goes down for a week then I get pissed. I don’t make money off my sites or anything, in fact the main reason I have a Dreamhost account is SVN and I have not been able to use it in a week. That is just completely unacceptable to me. Dreamhost came highly recommended and I just came from another very poor host where I kept buying the “it will be better tomorrow” crap.

Bottom line I don’t have time to deal with tech support daily so I am out of here. How many others feel the same way?

I’m leaving as soon as I can get to my site. Plus I’m eligible for a refund and paid by credit card. DH is a joke. Their updates are inadequate and they seem to be laying the blame for the delay on users uploading to the affected servers. Well, block the uploads and fix it. This has been an issue for 2 weeks! Absolutely ridiculous.

[quote]I’m leaving as soon as I can get to my site.

[/quote]

Me too. But being the things as they are now, we are pretty much trapped here…

[quote]> I’m leaving as soon as I can get to my site.

Me too. But being the things as they are now, we are pretty much trapped here…[/quote]
I don’t blame anyone for leaving when they don’t get what they need out of a host, but I see statements like the ones above a lot, and I just don’t understand what’s up with that.

Why would anyone need to “get to their site” to change hosts? Doesn’t everybody keep backups of their sites/files/databases to avoid this kind of problem, or is there some new trend that dictates the basic rule of “Webmastering 101”, which is “Backup often, and backup your backups even more often”, no longer applies? :open_mouth:

If you don’t, how would you get your sites back up and in business if say, an earthquake wiped DreamHost and the rest of Los Angeles off the map, and there was no hope of you ever seeing anything stored on a DreamHost server (which might be buried under a vagillion tons of rubble and bodies). I’m just saying … stuff happens!

I’ve been at DreamHost almost 10 years now, and I’m not going anywhere … but if I did, I wouldn’t need to even look back at DreamHost to see what was going on, and I sure wouldn’t need to access it to “get my stuff”.

All my stuff is stored safely in a couple of places, both on and off the internet, so I would just set up my new account, reload and GO ALREADY! :wink:

–rlparker

It would appear that people are staying in droves. Only the unfortunate few are leaving, and the ones who have already left probably aren’t going to respond to this post.

-Scott

They are too busy over on the status blog … whining, crying, pimping other hosts, getting rickrolled … you know, the regular stuff that goes on over there. That is if you believe those over there that say they have left really have left. :wink:

–rlparker

I suspect that there are more people who’ve left without saying anything than people saying they’re going to leave. It’s like suicide where the people yelling that they’re going to kill themselves don’t really want to kill themselves but really just want help (and a sympathetic ear).

Now of course, a lot of those folks do end up killing themselves so a lot of the complainers do leave.

Complaining and leaving is more effort than just leaving. The complainers generally fall into two camps - the ones who don’t want to leave but want their issues fixed and the ones who are actually leaving but want to get “revenge”.

All this said, there are significant chronic problems in the blingy cluster. I know Dreamhost doesn’t like to point fingers but I’d really like to hear what’s up from their storage vendor so I can decide whether to retract my recommendation to my boss. :slight_smile:

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

[quote]Doesn’t everybody keep backups of their
sites/files/databases to avoid this kind of problem

[/quote]

No, not everybody. I’m new to webhosting, started at the end of february. And although I didn’t expected 99’999 uptime and I can live with the usual problems and outages (my site is a NGO, we dont’ lose money if it’s down) I never thought ‘this kind of problem’ (i.e. being 2 weeks offline) was going to happen.

Lesson learned the hard way.

[quote]No, not everybody. I’m new to webhosting, started at the end of february. And although I didn’t expected 99’999 uptime and I can live with the usual problems and outages (my site is a NGO, we dont’ lose money if it’s down) I never thought ‘this kind of problem’ (i.e. being 2 weeks offline) was going to happen.

Lesson learned the hard way.[/quote]
Don’t feel bad. This is not a common or frequent problem and I wouldn’t blame anyone who didn’t anticipate it. It’s probably one of those things that on the order of probability of a car wreck.

What I think people are saying is that they’re amazed at the number of people who didn’t carry insurance and are now complaining about the fallout from the accident.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

[quote]> Doesn’t everybody keep backups of their

[quote]sites/files/databases to avoid this kind of problem

[/quote]

No, not everybody. I’m new to webhosting … I never thought ‘this kind of problem’ (i.e. being 2 weeks offline) was going to happen. Lesson learned the hard way.[/quote]
Ouch! Yes, I understand and appreciate that the “hardness” of those kind of lessons (and have had a few of those myself over the years). I’m sorry that you are experiencing this situation. If there is an “upside” at all to this, it might be that, as you continue your endeavors with web hosting, the memory of this experience will keep you zealous when it comes to backup strategies.

I also understand that you would not expect this type of a problem with a highly regarded/recommended/popular webhosting company … who’d have known this would happen? Sure there are naysayers that are always predicting gloom about DreamHost, but my experience is that this situation is unique for them … it hasn’t happened to me in 10 years (even this situation did not impact the great majority of my sites). The last rough time I had that is even remotely similar is the “summer of hell” in 2006 where there were major power issues involving their building (which was, really, worse than this for most customers).

That “most customers” aspect of the thing is important to remember too! A certain amount of the pain you are feeling is because of just plain old “bad luck”, as you happened to be on the cluster than turned out to be the most problematic … again, who’d have known or could have predicted that.

Hopefully, they’ll get the corner turned on this one and you can soon get all your stuff downloaded and proceed as you see fit. I’m sincerely wishing you all the best with that!

–rlparker

I’ll lay money there’s not one of us here who hasn’t said that at some stage and can empathise with your current situation.

On the bright side, whatever broke is being replaced with new gear so after the smoke’s cleared you might find that now is actually the right time to be on Blingy. You have time up your sleeve to cancel your account and still get a full refund, so it’d probably pay to wait and see how things evolve next week before cancelling too hastily :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

I’m new to web designing. I’ve been doing it for about a year. All of the clients I’ve had are artists and musicians who all have websites with horrible web hosts. I’m soooo spoiled by dream host. They have pretty much held my hand through the most confusing ordeals and are the reason I can even make a website on my own. The only problem with dream host is they don’t have a fan mail email address where I can tell them every time I fall in love with them. The WWW can be a cold and unwelcoming place and all I know is Dream Host feels like home to me!! Oh yeah and I love the news letter, they’re always reaminding me about their features that I forgot to take advantage of and it’s friggin funny. It’s good to know that this company is human, like me!! I love you dream host, I’m not going anywhere…

Now this is a respond from a happy customer. Hopefully there will be quite many that respond this way.

Cheers

Supernova

Need great promo codes ? Check on this link.

What about uptime of 99.9% seems like false advertising to me

I did not see this.
Can you post the link to it please.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

99.9% of what? Uptime? Since they don’t advertise any uptime guarantees, which are just meaningless marketing gimmicks anyway, I don’t see what you could be mistaking as false advertising.

Even the hosts that do offer an uptime guarantee have fine print pages full of disclaimers and usually make you do more work to get the credit than the credit is worth.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

They used to advertise this

I’ve been here since 2002 and there certainly hasn’t been one in that time.

I’m pretty sure they’ve always made it clear that they never have and never will.

It’s nothing more than a marketing gimmick. I’m glad they stand out for not having one.

Here’s a blog post where they refer to SLA as Super Lame Apology.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

I signed up within this last year, and am in no rush to jump ship to Yet Another Host.

So given what I’m paying, I’ll be sticking around.
If I was running a business, and not hobby sites that don’t generate income, I might move, but still this site is better than my last host.

They decided it was in the users best interest to modify there pages so it pointed to the host’s ads and generated income for what the host wanted :smiley:

It is not easy to achieve 99.9% uptime with such a low price. I’ve seen some companies guarantee 99.9% uptime (not sure about it) and the price is around double the price.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here