How long does it take for DNS to work?

I’ve changed name servers on my domain to DH since yesterday and it did work for a bit last night. But when I check again today it’s showing the under construction page from yahoo domain again. Anyone know how long it usually takes for DNS to work properly? Apparently a whois will show my domain already has correct DH name servers, http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=randomspot.com

It can vary and take up to 2 days. It is normal to initially work but then as ISP nameservers refresh from old caches the old information is used until the new information flushes out the old information! :s

Norm

Current TTL (Time to Live) is set to: 1814400 14400.
That’s 2 days TTL with a min of 12 hrs in cache.

So, if the last TTL records were the same, it’ll take between 12 hours to 2 days to propegate.

i had one domain that took 1 hour only to work with dreamhost while another took more then a day.

Use the coupon code FIVEZEROOFF when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant $50 off!

Which means 1 domain was not in DNS cache and took 1 hr for DH to setup their side while the other domain WAS in your ISP’s DNS cache and it took more than a day for the cache to clear.

I’m not sure that’s the case – something’s been slow lately.

I’ve been adding hosts to a new domain, and normally I see new DNS records propogate, at least within Dreamhost, within a few minutes.

Lately, it takes forever for Dreamhosts’s DNS to update. Even new records are taking up to a couple days to show up.

For example, I set up a mailing list yesterday, and “lists.mydomain.com” didn’t exist until about 24 hours later. Today I added a MySQL database, and several hours later the new, unique hostname isn’t visible, even from inside Dreamhost.

I added a couple custom DNS records for a domain 2 days ago, which is hosted elsewhere but registered with DH. The domain’s been registered for weeks, but it’s still resolving to the “old” site here and it’s been 2 days since I added those custom dns records.

Do I need to do anything else - e.g. remove it from the hosting plan and/or add any other custom records? I just want people to find the site that I’ve set up elsewhere.

Thanks,
Peter

What plan is best for you? Compare from this list and select the best plan

Just to followup on my own post I asked DH support what’s wrong and it turns out I shouldn’t have added custom DNS records. Instead you need to go to the domains -> registrations sub-panel and add the dns there, if it’s hosted elsewhere. Very confusing panel - they should merge some of these menu items.

The link is here

Now waiting for the usual updating and propagation…

What plan is best for you? Compare from this list and select the best plan