How long does DNS propigation take?

I signed up at DreamHost last week. It immediately told me my domain was registered and that it would take 1-3 days for my domain,, to work because of DNS propagation.

“It will probably take 1-3 days for your domain to begin to work as the new dns information propagates across the Internet!”

Doesn’t a week seem a little on the long end? I read that it can take up to a week for the DNS to propagate completely, but DH said 3 days. Is there something wrong? and do not work for me or from some remote boxes in other countries.

What do you think?

It looks like it has been registered to your name but there isn’t a server hosting the site. Did you remember to add hosting for this domain?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

It is hosted.

What’s odd is what when I do a WHOIS here on garth (my dreamhost server), the request times out right before the contact info comes up.

It appears that something within the danrippon DNS setup isn’t right. Things to check:
• WHOIS info has correct name servers. You might even try flipping them around just to force another update.
• Hosted Domain. Go into Fully Hosted settings and add a subdomain (or find something else) and force another update.
• Contact support. Something’s clearly not right. It has been a week, and stuff that shouldn’t be broken is broken.

Just looked up your domain:

Domain Name: DANRIPPON.COM Registrar: NEW DREAM NETWORK, LLC Whois Server: Referral URL: Name Server: NS1.DREAMHOST.COM Name Server: NS2.DREAMHOST.COM Name Server: NS3.DREAMHOST.COM Status: ok Updated Date: 10-oct-2007 Creation Date: 10-oct-2007 Expiration Date: 10-oct-2008 That looks correct, but your domain is not in the DH nameservers.

While there is anecdotal evidence forcing an update from the control panel may get you on-line, I suggest opening a support ticket.
Another customer had a similar problem recently. If support gets enough problem reports, DH may track down whatever script is causing this problem.

Things not all smooth now.

whois hangs, and more recent router and network issue.

Michael here more be cause problems? Or more problems be cause Michael here more? :smiley:

HA ha ha! I like that one!

I don’t get it? Is this happening to everyone, or just me? (and apparently Michael, too?)

Anyway, the only thing I see under status is an upgrade to their router in 5 hours, so I doubt that is it.

I submitted a ticket with them, so we’ll see how it goes. It looks like the no one anywhere in the world can resolve my domain.

I just clicked on the DNS option in My Domains, and there was nothing in there. It said that it was “Weirdness” and that it would generate one in a few minutes (it did.) So maybe now it will start working (in three days). I don’t know if it was just a temp. glitch or not, but it seems like something happened.

Thanks guys/gals.

I can see your site now so it looks like what you did did the trick. Congratulations!

You should definitely still report this to support so they can see what happened and whether any other folks were affected.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts