How long do unconfirmed subscribers stay in Announcement List limbo?

software development

If a subscriber never receives the subscription verification email due to spam filters and whatnot, I’d like to be able to tell them to resubscribe in x hours/days/weeks so they can get a new verification email. (Better: give us a way to trigger a resending of that email, but that’s unlikely to happen.)

Do you know how long email addresses stay in an unconfirmed state before the announcement list expires the verification link?

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Can you provide more details please? What’s the URL of this announcement list you’re talking about? Screenshots, maybe? Anything would help. Thank you.

Thanks for taking time to answer. I’m referring to this:

I’ve set up a couple (one for testing, one for production) and I’ve been subscribing some of my own email addresses in order to test out my cron jobs that deal with adding and removing subscribers using the Announce List API found here:

Here’s the workflow process: subscribes to my announcement list and receives a Subscription Verification email with a link he must click in order to start receiving the newsletters. Deep in the hidden recesses of the announcement list code, is now in my list, but completed==0 so he doesn’t show up in my list of subscribers until he clicks the link. When he does, completed=1 and I can begin emailing him.

If he ignores (or doesn’t receive) that subscription verification email, his completed value stays 0 for some unknown (to me) length of time before I presume the link in the email is expired. I’d like to know what that length of time is.

I notice if I try to add again, I get the error

so it seems like the length of time the system waits for to click the link is 2 days, but it’s not. I can wait 3 days, click the link, and get added. Could I wait a week? A month? FOREVER?!?! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the extra details, now I understand what you’re talking about. Those API are a gateway to Mailman… I would put that kind of sophistication you describe needs into your application as that’s not available in Mailman. Or I wouldn’t use Mailman at all and manage your newsletter from some other tool that provides more sophisticated management options.

Due to DreamHost’s limit on how many emails I can send per hour through the SMTP server, the Announcement List is my only option (except for paid 3rd party tools, like MailChimp). I’m able to do everything I need to do using the API, but the one thing I don’t know is how much time a subscriber has to click the link in the subscription verification email before that link expires. Are you saying you don’t have access to that information? Do you know where I might begin to look?

Depending on how many messages you need to send per month, some options like Mailgun or Elastic Mail have free tiers of 10k or 150k messages per month.

I frankly have no idea. I’m asking around among colleagues to see if they know something more about how long the ID is kept valid. I’ll let you know if I discover something.

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated!

The answer is: 21 days :slight_smile: The unique code is valid for 21 days after it’s generated. Past that time the link is not valid anymore.

You rock!! Thank you so much!