How far to backbone from DH?

I couldn’t find this information on their site… Most hosts brag about their tier level, what kind of ‘pipes’ they have, etc., etc.

Anyone know?

It is probably a little dated now, but there is a small section in the Knowledge Base detailing DreamHost’s connections to the Internet.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=433

Mark

Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code “SAVEFIFTY” ( DreamHost Promo Code )

DreamHost is located in a data center that is a carrier hotel. The current uplinks are

2 x 1 gig uplinks to Level3

2 x 1 gig uplinks to Global Crossing

Both are tier 3 backbone providers

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).

Tier 3?

There’s really no good definition for a “tier X” provider, but both GX and L3 would generally be considered “tier 1”.

Oops! Yeah got that backwards! :smiley:

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).

This is a related question, and likely not a DH issue … but why do I see gigantic ping times between L3’s backbone nodes (WashingtonDC - my local one, and the LA one that DH’s servers are mere milliseconds away from)?

So I’m 2-5 ms from the DC L3, DH is 2-3 ms from the LA L3, but the 70ms between their nodes seems outrageously slow.

I’m on the verge of killing my old/other hosting service and adding my domain to my (already all set up) Crazy Domain Insane Plan here, but this is making me think twice. Kinda :slight_smile:

Anyone care to weigh in with a theory?

Sig-what?

[quote]This is a related question, and likely not a DH issue … but why do I see gigantic ping times between L3’s backbone nodes (WashingtonDC - my local one, and the LA one that DH’s servers are mere milliseconds away from)?
[/quote]
It’s 60.608 ms from Global Crossing in DC to Global Crossing in LA.

That’s not slow at all for the distance it has to go.

DreamHost can try but they can’t change the speed of light, nor can the backbone providers.

digitalrundown.com

Umm … I appreciate the response, and I was merely asking a generic question … so a ‘speed of light’ response, while funny, is definitely not appropriate and childishly defensive!

Other backbone servers connect together WAY quicker. My other super-unreliable-uptime host has ping times under 100 milliseconds from HONG KONG, for chrissakes.

Obligatory smiley :slight_smile: I do mean this all lightly!

I’ll eat some pie - it’s one second from HongKong. But irrespective - ping times are consistently quicker for my old host.

The latency you are seeing is pretty normal for those networks.

You would rarely get better with expensive Internap bandwidth or C&W bandwidth and that’s some of the most expensive lowest latency bandwidth around.

DreamHost isn’t using Cogent so I wouldn’t be concerned especially if you are hosting webpages. If you were hosting a gaming server you might want expensive Internap bandwidth.

digitalrundown.com

Gotcha. And that makes complete sense and alleviates my concerns. Thanks!

Also explains why webpages (even php blogs etc.) load just as fast with the 20ms & the 85+ ms ping time servers (old/dreamhost respectively).

Sig-what?