How do they know

my computer’s name at this site, from behind NAT/router, while using tor?

By name, I assume you mean the IP address and the DNS name for that address?

If so, it sounds like you probably have Tor misconfigured. What does the Tor detector tell you?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

[quote]By name, I assume you mean the IP address and the DNS name for that address?

[/quote]

No, the page shows …, from ~MYHOSTNAME/127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 is fine, and obviously not my real IP, but MYHOSTNAME is my real hostname. Must be coming from my browser (FireFox) somehow?

[quote]If so, it sounds like you probably have Tor misconfigured. What does the Tor detector tell you?

[/quote]

Tor detector shows [color=#00CC00]You seem to be using Tor![/color], and lists a Tor exit node and name. I like that better.

The page is using a Java Applet to display that information. The Applet will run within your browser.

As already stated, the hostname information is being retrieved by an Applet running in your browser.

This information will only be visible to you and as such does not present much of a security problem. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )