How do promo codes work?

Yes, if you choose a monthly plan you can use a promo-code to offset the set-up fee, in-fact the max discount that can be offered on the monthly level 1 plan is $50, just enough to cover the setup fee.

Of-course, the 1 and 2 year pre-paid plans are not subject to the setup fee.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

So, the answer here is to sign up for 1 year and find the 22.40 to pay for the first year. Or, to get a 20% discount, pay for the second year in advance and you can continue to get a 20% discount.

This avoids the setup fee. The reason for the setup fee is to get people committed to hosting here. If it were free it would be a really easy thing to set up a server for a month for $10 and do all kinds of bad things before leaving.

For those of you into Texas Holdem - the $50 blind (setup fee) leaves you “pot committed” (This means a whole 'nother thing to Spicoli)

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

For monthly plan, the promo code saves maximum 50 dollars only.

For yearly plan, there is no setup fee required.

b]Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost hosting plans using promo code [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW[/b]

Just been looking at those promo codes created by infinitaus, I am confused on the things offered, it says:

Most DreamHost Customers Provide You With ONLY $97 Discount on DreamHost Web Hosting Plans. FORGET IT! Introducing Feature Bonus on DreamHost Web Hosting Plans…

DISK100: +100% Disk Bonus
BANDWIDTH100: +100% Bandwidth Bonus
DOMAIN5: +5 Free Domain Registration
IP3: +3 Free Unique IP
FEATURE101011: Feature Bonus (+10% Disk Bonus / +10% Bandwidth Bonus / +1 Free Domain Registration / +1 Free Unique IP)

I was wondering does all of the codes in this list also include $97 discount with it as each thing for each code has a + sign infront of them. Please let me know as soon as anyone can. I am quite interested in the FEATURE101011 code because it seems that it includes all those features, but I am not sure wheather all of the features would be included and also the $97 off at sign up.

You don’t get the “features” and the $97 - each feature decreased the dollar amount by some degree. With some feature combinations, and multi-year terms, you can actuall benefit more than the $97.00. :slight_smile: It’s all explained in this newsletter.

–rlparker

They don’t.

Some others offer discount and features but :
Each 10% disk or bandwich remove $9
Each free domain remove $15
Each free IP remove $30

(note that you always have one free domain anyway)

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

No, if a promo-code offers any of the ‘bonus features’ it can not also offer a full $97 discount.

The way it works is quite simple; DreamHost offers existing customers a $97 rewards payment for each referral they bring to DreamHost. They also give them the ability to share this $97 rewards payment with the new customer by allowing them to create promo-codes that offer cash discounts, the discount comes out of the $97 rewards payment. Recently, DreamHost added the ability to include ‘bonus features’ with the promo-codes, each of these ‘bonus features’ has a ‘cost’ that comes directly out of the $97 rewards payment.

In short; A promo-code can offer a full $97 discount or a combination of ‘bonus features’ and a lesser discount, but it can not offer ‘bonus features’ and a full $97 discount.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

As others have mentioned, those particular codes come pretty close to maxing out the extra features you can offer in a promo code. They do not come with any cash discount, but they do represent a pretty good value.

I don’t know anything about your hosting needs, but I’m not a big fan of extra disk or bandwidth quota because the existing limits far exceeds most people’s needs.

Here’s what I tell people who ask me about the benefits of the various promo code features:

• Free unique IP address - you will need this if you intend to buy an SSL certificate and provide https for your users for e-commerce activities.
  • Free extra domain registrations - You get one free lifetime domain registration from DreamHost with every one of their hosting plans. With some promo codes, you can get extra registrations. This would benefit you if you want to host multiple primary domains. Please note that you don’t need to pay a registrar for subdomains, you can create as many of those as you want and host an unlimited number of the on your one DreamHost account.
  • Cash discount - This one is easy. Most promo codes offer some amount of straight discount off of your initial payment. As long as you’re selecting a prepaid plan, you’ll get the max discount available. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your discount may be slightly less. I’m not sure why anyone would pick month-to-month, though. The setup fee on month-to-month plans makes it so that it always makes more sense to go with a prepaid plan.
  • Extra initial disk space quota - promo codes can offer a 10% to 100% bonus on your initial disk space quota. I haven’t provided any because I haven’t heard of anyone even getting close to using their disk quota.
  • Extra initial bandwidth quota - promo codes can offer a 10% to 100% bonus on your initial disk space quota. I haven’t heard of anyone even getting close to using their bandwidth quota.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

In a simple word, each feature costs some money and it will be deducted from 97 dollars. The max discount you can enjoy is 97 dollar only.

For example, if you want a free unique IP which costs 30 dollars, you can have then (97-30) 67 dollar discount and a free uniqueu IP

More code here Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW

I have question about promo codes too, does promo codes means that my site will be on worst server then it was if i payed normal price?

If you sign up a yearly plan, the setup fee is waived.

If you sign up a montly plan with a promo code, you can get maximum $50 discount.

More code here Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW

There is no such issue in DH.

When you sign up a plan, no matter you use a promo code or not, DH will assign you to a server which is same as others.

However, if you encounter slow server issues, some people in the same server may be consuming a lot of server resource. You can then send a ticket to DH to start the alarm. DH will check the server and may move you to another server.

Lily - not at all. It just means that you didn’t get the discount (and the old space and bandwidth limits).

But the good news is that they grow weekly on all accounts and surely it will be more than you can use.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Thank you for replies. i am thinking about moving to dreamhost, i run a fan site with cpg gallery and two forums (not to many users). and need about 50-100 gb monthy. I heard many good things about DH.

Like anywhere there are people that like DH and hate DH. There’s not much to hide here.

Generally people with a bit of experience (as you obviously have) should have no troubles at DH unless you’re currently on an ASP (microsoft) server.

So I don’t get it - if someone creates a promo code that gives the full $97 discount to the new user, the person who created the code gets nothing, right?

But it looks like lots of people are offering $97-discount codes. What is the incentive for them to do this?

Goodwill to their fellow man? :wink:

Seriously though, those offering the full discount will still receive a rewards payment if the customer using their promo-code signs-up for a monthly plan, as the maximum discount allowed on monthly plans is somewhat less than the full $97. They will also receive a $5 rewards payment for secondary referrals.

Mark

as stated in DH’s website http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting-rewards.html the person will get 5 dolloar for each sub-referral. Most of the people offers 97 discount and earn 0 dollar for the first level of referral.

Just so you know, there are new referral linking features now… Take advantage of them and earn more money!

htaccess // New Code Multiplies Your Referrals!

Interesting. But seems overdone to me.

PromoCode [color=#CC0000]FULL_97_OFF <-click prefilled[/color] = host 1 yr for $22.4 ; [color=#CC0000]LIFE_IP_67_OFF[/color] = 2 yrs + IP for $123.8