How do I restart rails app?

apps

I’m running Mephisto on Dreamhost. I installed a plugin, but I need to restart the server for it to take effect. This obviously can’t be done, because I’m on shared hosting. What can I do?

Does this help?

http://blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=3109

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Not really… that just talks about installing Rails and configuring your app, but it doesn’t say anything about actually restarting the app.

if you find the pid you should be able to just kill pid - theoretically apache would restart it right?

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

When I ps, the only processes it shows are bash and ps… I don’t think I’d have access to kill apache anyway, because of shared hosting. So I have to restart the rails app itself somehow…

You can’t kill apache and as I understand fastcgi will start rails if it’s not already up.

But others have way more experience. I simply haven’t had time to fight with it right now. But I intended to.

OK… Well, thanks for your help anyway. I’ll try contacting Dreamhost support.

To restart your rails app do a “ps x” to get the pid of your dispatch.fcgi process(let’s say it’s 1234) then do a “kill 1234”. This will kill the running process and a new one will be automatically spawned and you should now see your changes.