How do i make a forum on my site

how do i make like a discussion board on ymy website…all help willl be appreciated

Try the one click install in the panel. Googies > One click installs

And select a PHP BB Forum. Very simple. Just follow the steps, then wait till you get a confirmaiton e-mail. Then you follow the instructions in the E-mail ( you may have to wait a bit after you get the E-mail. Sometimes the database is not set up quite as quickly as they say) Then you’ll have a fully functioning install of a nice forum on your site!

Good luck

-Matttail

PHPBB also has some nice flash tutorials to help you get every things set up the way you want after it’s installed. Check out this

-Matttail

what do i like put in for db and stuff?

ok…
Panel > Googies > One Click Installs

1. select PHP BB Forum

2. Tell DH where you want it installed. Select your domin, if you have more than one, and you can type in a folder to put it under. If you don’t specify a folder when you go to www.domain.com you will load the forum. If you type in a folder then you will go to www.domain.com/foler to access the forum.

3. Select: create a new database
    DB name will be the name of your database. This name MUST be unique. You probably want to use something like domain_db or whatever.

DB host name will be used if you ever install a mod or a hack for the forum and need to create a new table in your datbase via PHP My admin. Just fill in a sub-domain name that you are NOT allready using.

User name and password are just that. Keep in mind, that like all things wonderful it is CaseSenSitive!

That should work for you. If the is an error in what you typed in the page will re-load and there will be [color=#CC0000]Red[/color] text at the top of the page saying where the error is. scroll down to find more [color=#CC0000]red[/color] text explaining the problem. correct and click submit again.

Now wait till you get a confirmation E-mail. Then follow the instructions there. It will tell you set by set what to do. You just need to do a little set up for the forum before it will start working. The E-mail tells you just what to fill in where. You then should be good to go.

I would really reccomend thoes flash tutorials once you get PHP BB installed, they will help you get aquainted with the Admin control panel and other features of the forum a lot easier than trying to figure it out on your own, or even asking for help here. It’s cool becuase it’s like watching a video of someone doing it - with simple text explinations and all.

Hope this help, and again good luck…

-Matttail

ok i did that but i got this in an email

We were unable to set up phpbb as requested at:
http://www.thesteameddumpling.com/Forum/

The problem was /home/thesteam/thesteameddumpling.com/Forum is a file, and you can only install software in directories!

Please correct this and go to our web panel and re-submit your
phpbb installation request.

Thanks, and sorry about that!
The Happy DreamHost Installer Robot

When you typed in the folder you wanted the software to be installed in did you type into the box “forum” or “forum/” ? If it is the later remove the / and try again.

If not, I think you may just need to contact support…

-Matttail

what folder?

that would be the folder you specified when installing phpbb. you select the domain you want and then it gives you a box to type in a folder to install it under.

So, in that box you should have typed “folder” - replacing the word folder with whatever you wanted your forum to be installed at. I think that you got the error becuase you typed in “forum/” when you did the install.

hope this was clearer.

-Matttail

ok so could you get me a detailed description fo everything thing that im supposed to do…this folder you speak of…is it like an html or what?

I am guessing here, but I believe that the error you encountered, as stated in the E-mail you recieved, is because of a small error when you started the forum install process.

In the control panel >goodies > one click installs you select PHPBB and then specify where to install it at. You first select the domain. And then you typed in the box for a folder. It is my guess that you typed “Forum/” or “/Forum”. however it should simply be “Forum”.

If this is the case, and you put in a “/” then you will need to follow the steps I gave in an earlier post again to install your forum.

Also, I’m not sure if the install script created your database allready or not.

If the database has been created, you will see it in the list of databases, and you can simply select it, instead of filling in the information to create a new database - that would be instead of step 3 above.

So, basically if you don’t remember how you typed in “Forum” in the panel, just try the process over again. If you do remeber and you did type in “Forum” Not “/Forum” or “Forum/” I think you will need to contact support and find out what is up

• enless you want to learn how to install the software your self. Then you can download the zip from phpbb, extract, configure, upload, Chmod, configure, and then be in good working shape. But that’s a bit more complicated

-Matttail

thanks

I’m guessing you got it figured out then? Hope so. :slight_smile:

you’re welcome

-Matttail

well actually i went into my ftp thingy and i saw a brand new folder called forum in it, but i didnt get an email from dreamhost how to set it up, so do yuo think you could help me witht hat or what should i do?

I could post you one of the E-mails I got from Dh that describes how to complete the setup… But

first you should chech your support history and see if the E-mail was sent out, but for some reason you didn’t recieve it.

If the E-mail really wasn’t sent out then I do not have a way of determining where in the process the script failed, and don’t know if simply following the E-mailed instructions will work. I would therefore sigguest an E-mail into DH support, they should be able to get you set up.

-Matttail

thanks but i finally got the emial and it said succes making it!!!

Hi,

I am trying to create a forum using one-click install.
at the folder name prompt, I left it blank. I received an error message saying that :

"We were unable to set up phpbb as requested at:
http://www.mydomain.com/

The problem was directory /home/mydomain/mydomain.com is not empty! Please re-install, specifying an empty (or new) directory."

under mydomain.com folder there is a folder name “Download” which is for downloading purpose, so I don’t want to delete this folder.

I want when user go to www.mydomain.com it will automatic go to the forum. Instead of create a subfolder for it.

Is there a way to do it ?

Thanks

Linhsy

The one-click installs are designed to go into subdirectories. You might be able to move the forum to the root, once its installed, or install it yourself by downloading the latest files from phpBB.com.