How do I get subdomain to show IPB

Hi.

I’m trying to get an Invision Power Board (actually invisionfree) that I already had to show up at a new subdomain (forums.mydreamhostdomain.com).

How do I do this?

The instructions from IPB say to make a CNAME record to point to the forum, however I can’t figure out how to do it. They don’t have instructions specifically for working with DreamHost.

I tried to make one under the subdomain and I got an error message saying “You already have a record for this name… you can’t have a CNAME and any other record on the same name.” I don’t really know what I’m doing though.

Should I just make it cloaked or mirrored or something?

Thank you for your help!

If I understand correctly, the forum is already hosted at InvisionFree, but you want to be able to access it using “forums.mydreamhostdomain.com” and “mydreamhostdomain.com” is a domain that you already have hosted here at DreamHost?

If so, then you should not add the sub-domain to the DreamHost hosting system via Add New Domain / Sub-Domain. If you have already done so, remove the sub-domain and wait for it to be totally removed from the system.

You should then be able to add the required CNAME for “forums” to the DNS records for “mydreamhostdomain.com

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yes, you understood correctly. :slight_smile:

OK. I’ll do that. (I had already created the subdomain.) Thanks very much for your reply!

No problem, I hope it works out for you.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Does anyone know how long it should take for the deleted subdomain to be gone from the system? It still won’t accept the CNAME.

Thank you!

In my experience, it usually takes a couple of hours. However, sometimes the A-Records for a sub-domain get ‘stuck’. In such cases you need to contact support, outline the situation and they will run a manual DNS update on your domain, which should resolve the situation.

Edit: you can verify if this is indeed your problem, by going to the Manage Domains page of the panel, clicking on the small [DNS] link next to the parent domain and looking for the A-Records associated with the sub-domain. If you have removed the sub-domain, they should not be present.

Mark

OK. I’ll contact them because it’s been three days now. lol

Thank you!