How do I delete 22,000 User Accounts?

I finally learned how to set up the “Captcha” and admin-approval for new registrations.

But I still have 22,000 robo-spam users.

How do I can them ? that is, throw them away.

I looked through all the files in the forums directory and didn’t see any big compilation of usernames.

I’ll suggest you to log into your database and run sql query to delete them.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

If you are not confident with your query, remember to back up your database first.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks for the replies !

To back up my Database, I copied the entire Forum directory to a local hard drive using my FTP tool.

[quote]I’ll suggest you to log into your database and run sql query to delete them.

[/quote]

How do I log into my database ?

I searched the forum directory & subdirectories for anything named query. - I didn’t find anything.

phpBB’s ACP has some mechanism for searching users. When I weeded through mine, I used some feature that searched for visitors who never came back, or some such. I no longer have a phpBB installation, so I can’t go back and check.

-Scott

In this case, although I am getting new registrations coming into my email folder at the rate of about 1 every four minutes (even using the Captcha), for simplicity sake let’s just say there are 22,002 users.

2 of the users, an admin account and a test user account, I want to keep.

Everything else, I want to delete.

I thought I would mention that detail, in case it is relevant.

I just went back through all the Admin control panel options & sub-options. I see a way to edit permissions a single user at a time.

I was hoping I could edit one of the .php or other files that might contain the list of usernames.

I looked through each of the directories in the “Forum” folder, and opened up some of the bigger files in a text editor. Lots of interesting programming but no user-names.

Where does phpBB store the username list ? I was hoping I could edit some sort of *.ini type of file and accomplish the task that way.

Dang, you’re on phpBB 2? I can’t remember that far back.

The problem with going into the DB and deleting users is that it won’t hunt down their posts. You can point your browser to db.example.com and log in to your database and look for a “users” table.

-Scott