How do I add a subdomain?

How do I add a subdomain to my host domain and how do I make the subdomain when a user types the address look like abc.com instead of 123.abc.com?

You add a sub-domain exactly the same way you add a full domain. In the panel go to Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain, enter the full sub-domain name (eg: sub.mydomain.com) in the Domain to host: field, make any other desired changes to the options then press the Fully host this domain Now! button.

I don’t understand what you mean, abc.com would be a full domain, not a sub-domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

what about creating a subdomain from the domain that I chose through dreamhost? How do I create a domain this way?

You mean the ‘free’ domain you registered as part of the sign-up process?

If so, then the procedure is as described above. If your domain is example.com and you wish to create the some sub-domain, you would enter some.example.com in the Domain to host: field.

Note: after you have created the sub-domain, a new sub-directory will be created in your home directory with the same name as the sub-domain, this is where you place your site files.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

is it possible to point the address to 123.net instead of 123.abc.net?

If you mean can you redirect 123.abc.net to 123.net, then yes you can do that through the same place in the panel, just fill in the Redirected section instead of the Fully Hosted section.

If you mean can your users type 123.net and arrive at your site at 123.abc.net, you can do that too, by redirecting 123.net to 123.abc.net, but you will have to ‘own’ 123.net to do this.

Mark

Mark, when will DreamHost invite you to be part of the team? You really deserve it :slight_smile: Always quick and with good answers.

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef

Thanks for the kind words, but I am not sure I would like working for DreamHost. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am fortunate enough to work from home, so I tend to be at the computer A LOT and I always have a browser pointing at these forums when I’m not busy doing something else. If I see a question I think I can help with, I try my best. :slight_smile:

To be honest, I wish I could compose posts as informative and complete as some others on this forum (I’m looking at you rlparker :slight_smile: ), but I do the best I can.

Mark

But parker has no life. At least you WORK from home.

Wholly

Ha! “Work is the curse of the partying class!” :wink:

Actually, I’m in much the same boat as Mark. I’m very fortunate to be able to work out my home office, next to the pool!, (Yeah!) and I’m around here so much because a browser on one of my boxes is almost always pointed here. I’ve got a “life” (good clients, great friends, good woman, etc.), what I don’t have is much need for, or interest in, sleep. I normally get about 4 hours a night, and break my work up into smallish chunks (to allow for motorcycle rides during the day, etc.), so it just looks like I’m here a lot. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

p.s. - Gotta run now, off to a Holiday “wrap party” for the cast and crew of one of American television’s highest rated shows (where my woman is the production coordinator) - the forum is “fun” and all, but really can’t compete with free booze, food, and drunken actresses - does that qualify as a “life”? :wink:

Ha! Thanks for the kind works, Mark! You might consider however, that if your posting rate continues (which is much higher than mine) people will start claiming you have no “life” :wink: .

I think it is great that you provide the help that you do here. By and large, most users visiting here get a helpful answer within hours, if not minutes, and that is a great resource.

–rlparker

and they’d be right, well thats what my wife says anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have always been a bit of a ‘forum addict’, in a past life I did support for an ADSL modem/router company here in Australia, much of it involved fielding questions on their forum.

Agreed. The depth of knowledge shown by some of the people who regularly post here constantly amazes me. I hope DreamHost appreciates the resource that this forum has become. I imagine it saves them a lot of time handling support requests.

We have something else in common! :slight_smile:

I used to ride a lot when I was younger (a Ducati, an AJS and other assorted British bikes) and I am thinking seriously about renewing the passion with a Triumph Sprint ST. This, of-course, assumes I can save the required cash and convince the wife that it’s a good idea. :slight_smile:

:open_mouth:

Mark

PS: What kind of bike do you ride?

Man… My life sucks. I have teenagers and Orkin refuses to get rid of them.

Wholly

I’m, back from the “bash”…they didn’t have Wild Turkey, but they had plenty of Maker’s Mark, so I was fine. I know, it’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it! :wink:

As for what I ride, it depends on where I’m going and what I’m doing. My main ride at present is a ‘95 Honda Shadow vt 1100c2, which I have put over 85,000 miles on since I got it. I also have (for puttin’ around town) a semi-restored '71 Moto Guzzi Ambassador 750 - which is a different thing altogether. During the same time I was putting the 85,000 miles on the Shadow, I also put over 50,000 miles on a Honda Valkyrie (sweet!) which I sold to fund another year of oldest daughter’s college (I had a bad year! :frowning: ).

I’m fortunate enough to live within 15 miles or so of a world-class motorcycle road - The Angeles Crest Highway (Cal state hwy 2), and have been know to burn 50 miles of twisties on an “extended lunch” several times a week.

I love to ride - ideally, in chunks of over 1,500 miles at a time - I’m a fairly regular denizen of some of the seedier dive bars in the Southwestern U.S., especially the Utah, Arizona badlands. Rock ON!

–rlparker

Ha! Too funny, yet too true! I have the same “infestation” at my place, thought the oldest daughter is now scamping about Europe “studying abroad”…the youngest is still terrorizing her mother and I; though she’s getting better as she approaches 18 years of age.

Gotta love 'em…can’t kill 'em!!

–rlparker

Eheh, when I wrote about working for them, I meant doing the same you already do. Few things can beat working on our own, if possible from our house. Really confortable, our space, no traffic, no problems.

I could be a computer science teacher, but I prefer working for myself. I wouldn’t work for a company even if it paid me 50% more than what I make.
I take my own decisions, and if I want to take some time out with my family and friends, I will, without asking anyone. It doesn’t matter if I have to compensate working late the next day. I always work :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the same. Lots of questions that we get all the time would flood the support team.

As I already said RLParker is a great member too. I mentioned you because you are also really quick, answering questions minutes later.

I’ve seen many complaints at other forums about the time it takes DH’s support team to reply. I guess they never saw the forums.

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef

It sounds sweet. I live on a peninsula here, just across the water from the Phillip Island Raceway, home of the Australian GP, so there are a few good coastal roads not too far from home.

I haven’t ridden seriously for a long while, but I can feel the urge returning. My brother rides a 2002 HD Fatboy and every time he visits the urge gets a little stronger. :slight_smile:

Mark

I know what you mean. I tried the working for someone else routine when I was younger, I never could get used to doing what I was told. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mark