How do DreamHost promo codes work?

Can you create as many promo codes as you want? I’m just confused by this message in the panel: (Please double-check everything. Promo codes cannot be edited once created!)

For some reason, it made me think that you can only create one promo code.

If you can create multiple promo codes, can they be identical in value?

http://WebsiteHacks.com
website development and computer help

Yes.

That message means that once you create a promo code, that code can’t be edited. (hmm. I dunno if that’s any more clear) What it means is that you can’t change an existing promo code that you create. For instance, if you create a simple code that just gives $50 off, you can’t change it later to make it give only $40 off. You can create other new codes.

The name (a.k.a. “code”) of the promo code is the primary key. You can create multiple codes all giving the same benefit, as long as they have different “names”.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

The $97 off coupons can’t be created anymore, right? All of the coupons have a maximum $50 value-aside from the extra stuff like extra disk space?

That is correct.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

I guess one reason for that could have been so you couldn’t promote the code as one thing, then cut it back later. Though that didn’t stop Dreamhost from cutting them all back to $50. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

"Though that didn’t stop Dreamhost from cutting them all back to $50"
lol. That is funny. I would hope, though, that DreamHost still let people keep their previous codes.

Why did DreamHost stop the $97 codes anyway? Why do they care?

The codes still work, but they kicked the $97 down to $50. So a code like SAVE97BIGONESWITHTHISCODE would seem a bit silly now. :wink:

I think they did it to get a higher quality of clients that are willing to pay more than $20/year, but that’s not something they’d say. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe their story was because affiliates wanted to keep some of the cash… but that doesn’t really fly because you can still give it all away by adding features.

I’d like to see them give a lower payout to affiliates that aren’t customers. That would reward customers and maybe even encourage non-hosting affiliates to sign up. It would also be easier to spot those that aren’t recommending a host based on actual experience with them.

Ideally, they’d cut them back to where you couldn’t give everything away. Then even when everyone gives away the max, you’d still make something… even if it was just $5 - 10.

Besides just generally agreeing with your entire post, I agree with your sentiment here. OTOH, do you think Dreamhost’s current promo code policy helps keep the professional affiliates away? I’d like to think so, but don’t have any info to back this up.

It keeps them off the “Top Hosts” sites, since all of them are based on highest affiliate payouts.

But if someone is going to end up at Dreamhost, they’ll still want a piece of it, even if it’s just the secondary referrals @ $5 each.

The promo codes (aka lower payouts) will just keep them from specifically promoting Dreamhost through anything that costs money.

On the other hand, the promo codes (or no affiliate program at all) shouldn’t affect honest referrals that are based on personal experience. When you’re as huge as DH, that’s a plus.

One statistic that I would love to know would be how many people just sign up. No promo code. No referral cookies.

I’d guess it’s higher than most would expect, from people that go right to the sign-up page on a verbal recommendation, or even a good old fashioned direct-link.

I nearly did that myself but found my way to this disscusion board before signing up and discovered promocodes. If memory serves me correctly I used Lensman’s page and grabbed a 2 domain, 1 IP deal from that. I’m glad I (inadvertantly) signed up through someone who is actually a DH user and provides assistance to people on a daily basis on this board, rather than toss a dollar into some alias affiliate’s pot.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

I signed up based on a work friend’s recommendation. I put in his email address as my referrer.

Ahhh, still a referral though. I just generalized with cookies because a large percentage don’t even know they’re sending someone else money, or in many cases, a friend sends a link, they click a link on a site they don’t mind supporting, etc…

In your case though, even if you had unknowingly clicked a referral link at some point, at least you overwrote it by entering your friend’s email, making sure he gets the credit. He at least bought you lunch with part of it, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m mainly just wondering what percentage of their sign-ups don’t cost them $97.

It’s just like how some people think the top section of search results are actual search results, rather than paid ads that put money in an affiliate’s pocket.

I think a lot of people see dreamhost.com in the link and don’t really pay attention to the stuff at the end… or they get redirected and don’t notice.

I liked it better when you couldn’t make promo code links. I think it keeps things more legit when the customer has to enter what he wants, whether it’s a promo code or a friend’s email address.

You could actually get screwed by a promo code link. Let’s say you tell a friend to enter “USEMYPROMOCODEORDIE” when he signs up. He sees the discount automatically applied and figures he doesn’t have to, not realizing it was because he got cookied earlier while reading up on DH.

I doubt it’s a common problem, but without the links/cookies, it can’t happen at all.

Dinner, actually!

Cool… I would have eaten until I puked, or hit the $97.01 mark, which ever came first. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah…probably…like this guy:

-Scott

I know… that post made me hungry! :stuck_out_tongue: