How can I receive email for my no-ip dynamic DNS domain?

I own a number of domains through DreamHost, through which I get my email.

Separately, I also have dynamic dns setup through, in the form

No-ip lets me setup an MX record for my domain there. How can I configure this to point to a mailbox setup at DreamHost? I’ve poked around domain registrations, email settings in DreamHost, but I can’t figure out how to do this.

What do I need to do at both ends?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to do. Correct me if I’m wrong… You have a domain name ( registered at DreamHost and you want to setup a mail server (at home?) which has a dynamic IP address.

If that’s the case, you need to set the MX record on your No-IP control panel like instructed here::

And of course you need to install and configure the whole set of mail servers, antispam filters and a lot more. I guess you already know how to do that or are willing to learn :slight_smile: I don’t think you need to do anything else on DreamHost side… Let us know how it goes.

Close. I want to use dreamhost’s mail servers to receive the mail for my dynamic-ip domain. basically. If someone sends email to, I want to get it forwarded to my personal email address which I host at dreamhost.

I followed those directions you linked to and set the MX record to: (which is what I saw when I clicked on DNS for my domain).

That should be enough, unless I’m missing pieces of the puzzle… Does your email get delivered to your inbox correctly?

It does not. I get this error back: host[]
said: 554 5.7.1 Recipient address rejected:
Access denied (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Uhm … I didn’t read your clarification correctly… I thought that you had a domain name registered at DreamHost already, something like and you wanted to simply keep on using the MX servers at DreamHost. Re-reading:

and later the error you have confirms that the domain you’re referring to is a subdomain of… Sounds a lot more complicated now :frowning: For DreamHost smtp servers to receive mail for, they need to be aware of it. You need to add that domain to your DreamHost Panel and create the email box admin for it. I’m not sure how you can do that though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.