How can I get a hold of Dreamhost billing dept

Dreamhost phone line is always busy, and they are ignoring my emails. The quality of service has deteriorated to the point where two of my three sites are down, I cannot get any response and need to terminate my involvement with them. My next step is opening a dispute through the credit card, but I want to get a hold of DH first, if possible. Please advise.

Oleg Volk

Following the correct steps to close an account would probably be the best way to close it. https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=403&keyword=cancel account

Chargebacks are there for fraud protection. Not following directions isn’t fraud.

[quote]Dreamhost phone line is always busy

[/quote]

I didn’t know that they had any telephone support (except callbacks).

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

Dreamhost just emailed me, stating that they closed my account and refunded pro-rated portion of the hosting fees.

Unfortunately, they also made my site inaccessible by FTP, so I can’t move it to another server. I am looking at re-doing three months’ worth of updates at least. Any suggestions on what I can do about this?

well, you should definatly contact support ASAP and see if by chance your acocunt hasn’t been totaly cleared out yet, if you can get ahold of your files… but I think it may allread be gone.

Lession to be leared? You always, always, always keep backups of all your stuff! Even though DH makes regular backups of my data and databases, I keep weekly bacups on my home comptuer. I’m a college student, and I’ve met too many people who store their final essay for a class on floppy disk, or even store it on the college server and access via FTP, only for their one copy to get corrupted - and then they totaly freek out when they have to do it all over agian.

Sorry for your loss…

-Matttail

Seems that Dreamhost will give me time to make backups after all.

that would have been my assumption, they are far from evil or incompetent :wink:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

[quote]two of my three sites are down, I cannot get any response …
My next step is opening a dispute through the credit card

[/quote]

I’d be interested to know what dispute basis you consider there to be, given “DreamHost Webhosting makes no warranties or representations of any kind, whether expressed or implied for the service it is providing” or not providing.

Banks are pretty easy going about disbutes like this actually. I had a mail order place charge me a lot more than I agreede to pay for some film devolping. I called them up to ask about it, and just got transfered around and given a voice mail that box that no one every retured my call on. SO I tlked to the bank, filled out a form, and they retured my money.

Someone can make a claim, and false or true it’s up ot the company to disprove it. A place where I worked once - a lumber store sold this lady some paint, the next day she comes back for an other gallon of paint. So when she gets her credit card statement, there’s two identical changes one day apart. She calls up the credit card company, tells them that she only bought one gallon. So the store where I was working gets a call, says basically we have a report that you riped this lady off, you have two days to fax us proof that you didn’t or you loose your right to take a visa credit card again. We had the copy of the reciepts where she signed, in person so no problem.

So this may not actually be fraud, but still it’s really easy to get charges revoked if the consumer doesn’t think it’s legit.

-Matttail

[quote]it’s really easy to get charges revoked if the consumer doesn’t think it’s legit.

[/quote]

In transaction disputes, yes. This is not a transaction dispute.