How can I figure out why my spam filters are too agressive?

Hi folks,
Somewhere I’ve got a spam filter that is filtering out too much stuff that I want. I can’t figure out where it is.

As far as I can tell, my Dreamhost filters are turned completely off. My domain has a catch-all address, so the Mail -> Anti-Spam control panel won’t enable DreamHost’s Anti-Spam filter.

On my local machine (a Mac), the Mail control panel has junk mail filtering enabled and set to move all junk mail to the Junk mailbox.

I check the Junk mailbox every couple of days. In the last 30 days, it has accumulated only 35 messages. This is way, way lower than I expected, and it’s been that low for at least a few months now.

This is an issue because I’ve gotten two recent phone calls asking why I hadn’t replied to emails. Well, I never got them. I know that other things can cause this, but the undelivered emails combined with the low spam levels make me suspicious that somewhere there’s a spam filter going wild.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pat

Double-check at mailboxes.example.com by logging in with your email account. Scroll down to Junkmail Quarantine and see if anything is quarantined and for hints in its Settings.

If that doesn’t clear things up, submit a Support Ticket and see if they can track anything down. It would help if you could let them know exactly when a non-received message was sent.

Scott,
Thanks for suggesting that. I actually had checked the Quarantine and it was empty; I just didn’t think to note it.

OK, I’ll ask the senders to send me what they can.

Pat