How can i change the whois info of a domain name?

hi, when i signed up to dreamhost i was able to get a free domain name. i just did a whois on the domain name and realized its showing my full name, phone number, address etc…

how can i change that info? the site i am planning on setting up might be controversial where i live and i would like to remain anonymous.

thanks

Use the DreamHost Control Panel. In the Domains section is a Registrations tab. Click on that, and you’ll be able to Modify the contact information for your domain.

It may take several days for the information to propagate.

-Scott

I have had this same problem with my account and was told by WhoIs I can opt out of being registered there as long as I wasn’t a business. As I have a similar problem to the user above I’d like to know how to do this.

You can go through a company that offers privacy protection–but you can’t just leave it blank and you definitely shouldn’t use fraudulant info. That’s a good way to lose a domain.

If you think people are going to go after the domain, not being able to prove it’s yours will make it easy for them to get it taken down.

If you register a name through NameCheap, the first year of protection is free and it’s cheap to renew after that.

If you just want privacy as far as your home address goes, PO boxes are cheap and can be used in the WHOIS info.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

“You can go through a company that offers privacy protection–but you can’t just leave it blank and you definitely shouldn’t use fraudulant info. That’s a good way to lose a domain.”

So are you telling me that I cannot opt out of this farce without paying a fee? The Whois website advises its users that to opt out of the site can be done easily by sending a request to the host. Is this incorrect as frankly if I’d known this I’d have found a different host.

“If you think people are going to go after the domain, not being able to prove it’s yours will make it easy for them to get it taken down.”

I couldn’t care less about the domain name. If having a domain name taken off me is the worse thing that happens because of this I’ll be glad. I have a complete nutcase that was banned from my website for issuing threats and abuse to myself and others. The guy lives in the same town as me and from what you say there is no way for me to prevent him getting my home address from whois?

“If you just want privacy as far as your home address goes, PO boxes are cheap and can be used in the WHOIS info.”

I live in Scotland and I’m afraid I have no idea what a PO box is and how I can use it.

I wouldn’t call whois info a farse, it’s effectivly the ownership papers for you domain name. Most of the whois fiels must be filled in with something. Ultimatly it’s your decision if that info is correct or not. This is standard for all domain names, regardless of who your registrar is.

Some registrars, (dreamhost is not one of them) provide this private domain registration now. Basically instead of your contact information on the domain, they put in info for their company and will pass on any stuff they get in regards to your domain. However, you have to put a good bit of trust into the company you do this with, becuase if they should go out of business and not transfer the domains that leaves you in a place where it may be difficult or impossible to get your domain name back - becuase your name isn’t on any of the ownership papers.

In my opinion it wouldn’t be an issue to leave a false address in the record as long as your name and E-mail address is correct.

A P.O. Box or Post Office box is something that’s easy to get here in the states at least. You go to your local post office, and rent it on 3, 6, or 12 month basis. You get a gey to your box, and you can have mail sent there instead of using your home address. Something like this would allow you to use valid informaitn while not giving out your physical address.

-Matttail

“I wouldn’t call whois info a farse, it’s effectivly the ownership papers for you domain name. Most of the whois fiels must be filled in with something. Ultimatly it’s your decision if that info is correct or not. This is standard for all domain names, regardless of who your registrar is.”

I wasn’t referring to the whois info being a farse the thing that annoys me is the fact I cannot choose not to be listed with dreamhost. PO boxes are not exactly common-fare here in the UK and as I have previously said the man looking for my home address is a complete psycho and I DO NOT want him getting my home address but according to yourselves it’s impossible to stop?

[quote]I couldn’t care less about the domain name. If having a domain name taken off me is the worse thing that happens because of this I’ll be glad.

I DO NOT want him getting my home address but according to yourselves it’s impossible to stop?

[/quote]

You’ve got different people giving you different advice. Nobody said it was impossible.

Just go put bogus address in the panel, to temporarily solve your concern, and then offer somebody something to handle the registration for you, or take the risk of losing the domain.

That’s what I have done for the moment but part of whois.nets disclaimer is that I can opt out through my webhost and I’m dissapointed this is not the case.

I’m not familiar with whois.net, but unless your domain is actually registered through them rather than through dreamhost, anything they say about opting out wouldn’t really apply here.

Whois records are considered to be public information.

The way I see it, since a post office box isn’t an option for you, you have a few options:

1. Find a friend or someone who’d be willing to be the contact address for your domain even though you have a crazy person trying to find you
  2. Transfer your domain registration (this wouldn’t affect your hosting but you’d have to pay the new registrar when you transfer) to someplace that does have privacy masking for whois listings. I think Godaddy does this as an example but I’m not sure offhand who else does.
  3. Use false information, but be aware that there is a real risk that if there were ever a dispute about the domain’s ownership you could lose it because of the false info.