How are you using DreamObjects?

dreamobjects

I’m looking for your feedback on DreamObjects! What are you using it for? Take the poll and feel free to let me know more in the comments.

-Justin

My application save thumbnails from images on the web, so block storage is a perfect fit.

Note: can’t vote - “You do not have permission to access this page.”

(Sorry about that — voting should work now.)

Photo backup, file backup, and website database backup so far. :slight_smile:

I’m using it to store assets for my WP-based websites, using these instructions.

Ok, since you brought it up, maybe I can ask a really dumb question. If storage space is unlimited, how would DreamObjects help in storing website assets? I mean, why not just store them on your normal account with your included storage quota (unlimited!)? And for backups, there’s a 50GB backups user, so unless you have more than that, what’s the advantage of using DreamObjects? I’m a bit clueless on this, but essentially I don’t see the use case for DreamObjects. Can anyone explain it to me? In the responses so far, I don’t see how using DreamObjects would be any different from using the resources that are already included in a shared hosting plan. Maybe it is designed for VPS or dedi users with limited (albeit generous) storage space?

This is an excellent question! Here are a few of the benefits of using DreamObjects to store your data, whether for your site or backup:

Redundancy - We keep 3 copies of your data in our self-healing storage cluster. Data integrity is constantly monitored and any corruption found automatically triggers rebuilding that data.

Durability - In addition to keeping multiple copies of your data, we also place it strategically in the cluster so that it’s fault tolerant. The same data is distributed throughout the cluster so that a failure of a disk, rack, or entire row in our data center will ensure your data is safe.

Speed - High performance read/write access through commonly used APIs. Access to DreamObjects also goes through a load balancer ensuring availability. We’re currently testing various CDN options and will be providing this option as well.

Scalability - You’ll never worry about running out of space again. Very simply put, it’s just one less thing to worry about.

So those are the big benefits, but let me address your questions more directly. Offloading content from your web server to DreamObjects can help with performance. As for backups, DreamObjects is much more redundant and durable than the included backup offering.

I hope that brings a little clarity into why we’re offering DreamObjects.

I think Ceph is a pretty cool guy. eh autoreplistripes and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Also, revenue :smiley:

Thanks. I guess my humble website and data needs don’t fit your use case.

Just had a crazy idea. Could use DreamObjects to build a Dropbox replacement service and resell it out?

Absolutely!

Certainly. But don’t underestimate the difficulty of doing this — getting files to sync nicely between the desktop client and the server is not easy. Dropbox spent a lot of engineering time on their service; replicating it won’t be trivial.

I said it was crazy, not sane. :slight_smile: I know it’s not trivial. If I were to do something like that, I’d be using my friends as test subjects.

Enemies are better alpha testers. That way you don’t risk being removed from any Christmas lists :wink:

Im the IT guy of my family and friends. I don’t get taken off Christmas lists. :devil:

ownCloud (www.owncloud.org) is a pretty good dropbox replacement.

It supports the mounting of External storage (S3 being one of the APIs supported) so it a definite possibility.

I’m in the process of setting it up right now. The mounting of the DreamObjects S3 bucket works perfectly, but my only problem is that it creates a folder within each user’s directory which serves the dreamobjects ‘folder’. The issue with this is that the user can still serve stuff on the server’s storage. All I have to do now is work out how to mount the external storage as the root directory for all users.

Dreamhost shared plan (and all shared hosting plans in general) isn’t really unlimited per se. It is ‘unlimited’ within a fair usage policy. If you use too many resources (for example hosting a lots of gb of pictures and or videos) your site will be taken down and you’ll probably receive a mail by a Happy Dreamhost Robot encouraging you to upgrade your plan to a vps or a dedicated server. To avoid this kind of situations you can use DreamObjects to, for example, host your photos or videos and off load those resource usages from your shared hosting plan. Depending on your particular case, this might by more cheaper than a vps or dedicated server. An advantage of using dreamobjects vs s3 or azure or google cloud or rackspace cloudfiles is that dreamobjects has the cheapest price in bandwidth (5c vs 12c) . Although I don’t know if they are going to keep that cheap price when they become popular enough.

Another 2 point are (which am not going to detail) :

In some cases you want to bypass the uploading to the server and upload directly to dreamobjects, because uploading is a resources consuming operation.

Security is another thing, you want maybe to keep user uploads separately from your server to avoid any security issue.

Hope that make sense to someone !

@justinlund,

We use DreamObjects for backups. I have been looking at using them for a CDN, although I still need to read up on it and its pro/cons.

I’ll admit I have been hesitant to implement CDN use with our sites due to lack of immediate needs.

Thanks!